Notices

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Brad,

We all have our own individual values and just because someones financial position or financial approach differs from our own doesn't make them "wrong".

My position: no one person should judge another, we should support guide and provide useful information others can benefit from, all of us should operate within our means and keep safety at the forefront of our everyday lives.

Thanks again, Brad!
Agree, and Thank you. I look forward to meeting you on the water one day!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troper
This is what changed the course of this thread:

" If it was more affordable I might consider going" guess his life, his family and friends life isn't worth 1500 bucks !!!
It was exactly what was stated ...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you notice , there is not 1 person (NOT ONE) who took this course and said it was not worth it, its only the ones who have not took it that question if it is worth it ..
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

We have people on here with a range of incomes. I'm disturbed by the comments by a few of those in the higher income brackets who are disparaging those who cannot afford the Tres Martin class. I think it is pretty disgusting and insensitive. Some people have bought boats on here for $10,000, because that's what they could afford. Some of them may be V-hulls that would be lucky to do 60 mph. The course obviously has diminishing returns, the slower the boat goes. At some speed, it's not going to make sense. Not everyone is out racing or doing high entry fee "look at me, first to the card stop" poker runs. Some people are safely out on the water having fun, not pushing their boats to the limit, but still going at a faster clip than a Bayliner.

How many of the people here saying he is putting his family at risk have Lifelines for everyone on board AT ALL TIMES on their boat? How many people here have the lanyard attached at all times? How many here running over 80 mph have helmets required everyone on board? How many here have not had one drop to drink in the last 24 hours prior to getting out on the water?

Frankly, there isn't one person here that hasn't "put their family at risk", unless they stayed at the shore, because just getting on the boat has risk. There are varying degrees of risk, and everyone decides for themselves what the risk should be.

I would love to take the Tres Martin course, and probably will take it someday, but I can understand there are good reasons for those who don't.

Michael
Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I thankful for what Tres and Brad do. It is hands down the best money I've spent in performance boating. I grew up racing Dragboats and can never remember not having a performance boat and I still learned a lot.
Tres and Brad have to have some big stones to ride as a passenger in the boat with some of us yahoos. Think about it......You have met someone for a day, then your going to go for a ride at 150 with them....... Not me
As far as the cost, I would have to pay double this for medical education and I think it is appropriate they get compensated for what they do.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
The course obviously has diminishing returns, the slower the boat goes. At some speed, it's not going to make sense. Not everyone is out racing or doing high entry fee "look at me, first to the card stop" poker runs. Some people are safely out on the water having fun, not pushing their boats to the limit, but still going at a faster clip than a Bayliner.Michael
I agree that if you are not running a "fast" boat, you may not get the full factor of the complete course. With that being said, there is a lot more to Tres's course than just driving, that is where the real education starts. Day one, as stated is not actual driving at all, it is engineering, factors, safety and understanding of the "performance" boats in hull design, power, etc...

If a person is not ready today to take the course financially it does not mean they cannot strive to get it as a goal.

I think the people that are being targeted,more direct with; are the ones that do spend the money for the boat, power train etc. Those boats cost more than the monies you have stated, the up-keep alone FAR exceeds that budget, and "they" are many times those that know too much to take any course... If you do not fit into that category, it is not really a problem... Just that everyone hopes that in time you will graduate to the next level and then see the value.

Nothing in life is free, if it was, that is what it is worth... We have all found our niches in life to be able to afford what we do for a hobby, being able to translate that into the hobby, cudo's. And I can tell you, it is not that easy to get people to spend money for the sport, unless it says, look at me or hear me.

We all share hints on the best way to do thing's, ie: car guy talk, taking the course IS NOT the same thing, it is much more specific and information intense. As I alluded to in my earlier post, bad habits learned are much harder to break than learning the correct way, will both good and bad work, many times, but when it all goes bad, I would hope the good triumphs! That is what your crew will appreciate, I can guarantee it!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Michael1;3782039]The course obviously has diminishing returns, the slower the boat goes. At some speed, it's not going to make sense.
[/QUOTE/]
I need to really clarify the idea of speed and how it relates to this discussion.

Analysis of accident/incident and casualty reports show speed is rarely if ever a primary causal factor in accidents.

Speed does dictate severity of consequence. Many if not most boat accidents occur at slower speed. We have seen many center console fish boats spin out or high side at what would seem to be a normally forgiving speed. 40 foot Cat's go over, numerous 36-50 foot stepped bottom mono hulls pitching everyone out less than 50 MPH.

Performance in our name is better related to Human Performance not boat performance. Many people drive cars, ride boats, bikes, etc. Who does it the best?

Thanks and Stay Safe,

Brad