Performance boat school  trained or untrained >

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Notices

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
Yea, and he probably built a friendship. That's what hotrod stuff is really about!

So why not just put everything that's in this class in a nice youtube channel for all the performance boat owners? Would that not help our sport more than anything? That's what I would do if I had all that knowledge.

When a kid comes over to my house to get some help with a header install or a nitrous kit I don't charge him anything. I teach him how to do things correctly. You know like real gearheads used to do.
You my friend are a class act. This is the point I was trying to get to in earlier posts. It's not about bashing. It's about teaching, learning, and growing.

I love my cars. I love to sit and tinker. Hell, while my Cobra was under a complete rebuild (i paid to have the work done because it was beyond my skill set), I bought a riding mower just to wrench on while I looked for my boat.

I will take the class. It is a matter of money. Comments that people don't have their priorities straight are freaking off their rocker. You're making hasty generalizations just as "The Man" makes about our sport as a whole. Comments like that make people look like complete momos. Period.

I wanted to run in the LC poker run this year but you know what... I wasn't ready. I'll stash $400 a month till this time next year to pay for Tres' class, pay for my PR entry and the fuel I'll burn along with the accommodations. Until then, I'll read and learn what I can via my own means. I saved for my boat for 5 years. I saved for my Cobra for 3 years. Moderation and planning isn't a bad thing.

Just because I don't have a bottomless piggy bank doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy the fruits of my labor. At the same time, by all means, it does mean I should NOT be out on the water rocking the throttles trying to run like the big boys. I'm not in the big leagues. I'm not going to try and run like I am but I will enjoy my boat and execute due diligence in staying in my comfort zone.

Diverkr - if you see "Mask" around, tell him his brother from another mother said to give him a call.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
You my friend are a class act. This is the point I was trying to get to in earlier posts. It's not about bashing. It's about teaching, learning, and growing.

I love my cars. I love to sit and tinker. Hell, while my Cobra was under a complete rebuild (i paid to have the work done because it was beyond my skill set), I bought a riding mower just to wrench on while I looked for my boat.

I will take the class. It is a matter of money. Comments that people don't have their priorities straight are freaking off their rocker. You're making hasty generalizations just as "The Man" makes about our sport as a whole. Comments like that make people look like complete momos. Period.

I wanted to run in the LC poker run this year but you know what... I wasn't ready. I'll stash $400 a month till this time next year to pay for Tres' class, pay for my PR entry and the fuel I'll burn along with the accommodations. Until then, I'll read and learn what I can via my own means. I saved for my boat for 5 years. I saved for my Cobra for 3 years. Moderation and planning isn't a bad thing.

Just because I don't have a bottomless piggy bank doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy the fruits of my labor. At the same time, by all means, it does mean I should NOT be out on the water rocking the throttles trying to run like the big boys. I'm not in the big leagues. I'm not going to try and run like I am but I will enjoy my boat and execute due diligence in staying in my comfort zone.

Diverkr - if you see "Mask" around, tell him his brother from another mother said to give him a call.
Well said. Your a smart Man. A year behind the sticks an then school sound like a great idea. You will know more about your boat an I think the class will help more when You have some time on it. You will have more questions an understand the answers . Artie

Last edited by akaboatman; 09-19-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Registered

Thank you, aka!

Here's another idea. A smart man will turn the tables on those that are trying to run the show and give the power to them and become an enabler to allow teachable moments to happen that will benefit all those involved.

Here's my proposition:
- Let me be the test dummy
- Identify an individual(s) who would be willing to sponsor the fee(s) associated for the course / travel and I'll tow my rig to wherever the next class is
- Let's get Speedonthewater.com in on the fun
- Document a relatively novice "performance" boater who takes Tres' course from start to finish

This seemingly would provide a documentary on the benefits of the course and how learning's of the course can be applied in a hobbyists daily outings on the water.

This would provide real life feedback from someone who is cautious but would be able to share and document with ALL of the boating community MY individual experience and benefits of taking the course.

There is my proposition. Do we have anyone who would like to take me up on the offer? I'll pony up my rig, PTO, and time if someone would be willing to sponsor the expenses associated with everything else. Seems like a nice proposition to be able to document the entire experience...

Any takers?

Last edited by Sunny32SSR; 09-19-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Crown LPX!

I have been in this sport for 18 going on 19 years. I have hundreds of hours and have run in waters from 6-8' to glassy smooth. I would like to take a class because I know there is more to learn and hopefully make me a better captain. The price is what gets most folks. To me $1500 is a big chunk of $$$, a house payment or my child support or insurance and storage for my boat for the year. At that price I want a one on one class. Not spend hours in a class with others and go out in a boat for an hour or so. Ok so the savings on insurance is 10% +/- big effin deal! It will take me personally over 20 years to pay for itself with my current boat. $500-700 is do able for most people. Sorry for my rant but if any of the guys here want to sponsor me and pay my ride I will glady take it! I will gladly be the claen up crew after class and send them the savings on my premium...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by diverkr
My buddy has a Z06 capable of 200mph that he has owned for 4 years now. I can't wait to tell him that he should feel "obligated" to spend thousands on a performance driving school because disaster is inevitable without it, haha.
You would never make that statement if you have ever been to a dragstrip or road course when a guy shows up with a new "weapon" and proceeds to try and duplicate performance he has read about in a car magazine! I have seen brand new 911 Turbos go a$$ backwards into the tire wall with less than 200 miles on the clock...... Too much car, not enough talent! Ever seen a kid in a 400 HP Mustang get sideways on the dragstrip and go 45 degrees into the wall after a hard 2nd gear slap?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
I have had boats my entire life, flatbottoms / daycruisers/ Jet boats.
When i got the Cigarette i decided that it might be a good idea to take the course. plus saving some money on insurance is never a bad thing.

What i didn't expect was how much i would learn. If you are running a straight bottom boat then a lot of the class will be a waste but if you have a step boat or cat then it is a must.

It would really be hard to describe all the info that you receive but even now years after taking the class i find myself thinking back to what Tres said during certain situations. You get a huge amount of data from him and it did seem overwhelming at times but i truly believe that it made me a safer driver.

If you have the money to buy a performance boat then to say you can't afford the class is nonsense. kind of like buying a race bike but can't afford a good helmet. You really need to look at your priorities.
and to say that you know the limits of your boat and will stay under that is a fantasy, Hell Tres has been thrown from his boat but that is how he can sit there and tell you what to look for before you get that far.

Great post from someone who actually took the class!

Also keep in mind pleasure boats today are surpassing race boat speeds of yesteryear making them inherently more dangerous. Even the Fountain guy at LOTO was experienced, former racer and he still had much to learn......unfortunately his passengers paid a heavy price for his lack of knowledge.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 385 Likes on 154 Posts

No but did see a friend grab second hard and put his 69 Camaro SS through a block wall .
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The insurance companies have already decided this for us. The more crashes/events/claims the more they will require training.

I am required to take Tres Martin before I can serve as captain of my boat. They have also made my insurance premium almost $12,000 with a $31,000 deductable.

If I would have bought a V-bottom or something with 700s or smaller, I would not have had to take a course or have this massive premium.

They have determined through statistics that big power and cats = claims. I suspect that although this fountain incident has gotten a bunch of press, the actual number of claims/losses is relatively small for that category of boat and they will not raise everyones premium with a 38' Fountain.

To the F18 pilot - very cool. But, you have been trained to the max in your machine to make you a safe pilot and to protect our (the taxpayers) investment.

I don't think everyone needs a performance boating course. I do. 150mph cat with no experience. I am taking the course and using some local guys with knowledge and experience in the boat until I feel comfortable.

By the way, I am a pilot as well (but gave it up). It took me almost 25 hours before my solo because I wanted it to be a non-event....and it was. My pulse never even went up because I was ready. That is the way I'm approaching my new boat.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You would never make that statement if you have ever been to a dragstrip or road course when a guy shows up with a new "weapon" and proceeds to try and duplicate performance he has read about in a car magazine! I have seen brand new 911 Turbos go a$$ backwards into the tire wall with less than 200 miles on the clock...... Too much car, not enough talent! Ever seen a kid in a 400 HP Mustang get sideways on the dragstrip and go 45 degrees into the wall after a hard 2nd gear slap?
Really? Has it been determined who the dude with the Fountain is? And how much so called experience he had racing? Just curious cause I haven't seen it anywhere else.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

I don't believe we want to define classes of boating in regards to the course but if I compare what you spend on your insurance premium alone, it is more than I pay a year for my boat, insurance, storage, fuel, and maintenance combined. again, this is where disposable incomes create a huge variance in the type of boat in addition to obtainable speeds.

please note, I am not knocking your success but reading your original search threads and your original budget, it is likely more than what many boaters make in three years.

Last edited by Sunny32SSR; 09-19-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.