Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them....... >

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......

Notices

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......

Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default No doubt.

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee
The Sonic is a great do all boat, but hope the Velocity has more speed potential with equal power.
You're going from a '60's design to a '80's design Thats 20 yrs dude. All kidding aside, IMO, a pad bottom vee is tough to beat and what I want. Always liked S.Stepps ad...., "no beaks, steps or hooks"
That design is light yrs ahead of the Sonic as is the construction methods. Much better boat.
I still think the 24' Sonic has a bigger cabin though. Tough for me to give up based on how often we still weekend on it. (headed back to the Keys in a month)
If I had a shop though it would be fun to see what you could do w/that Velocity. Done right that thing would be an absolute blast w/a pair of new 300 XS's.
Which Sonic is yours? I think I know who you are from S/F but not sure.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
You're going from a '60's design to a '80's design Thats 20 yrs dude. All kidding aside, IMO, a pad bottom vee is tough to beat and what I want. Always liked S.Stepps ad...., "no beaks, steps or hooks"
That design is light yrs ahead of the Sonic as is the construction methods. Much better boat.
I still think the 24' Sonic has a bigger cabin though. Tough for me to give up based on how often we still weekend on it. (headed back to the Keys in a month)
If I had a shop though it would be fun to see what you could do w/that Velocity. Done right that thing would be an absolute blast w/a pair of new 300 XS's.
I think that's the same bottom used on the VR1 . The boat is great looking . Had my friend check it out and he gave it the thumbs up, but it was too far away from me to travel the 3000 + miles round trip for it. Should be real fast.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Was black with silver stripes on S/F. Now solid black sides white deck. I don't think I have posted any good pictures since I painted it. Tough to beat for all around do anything boat.

For the Velocity it is in the perfect state for what I want to do, other than it is not a race deck. I am guessing close to the same weight as a Sonic. Going to get some stock efi 200s to start.

Step bottom outboards are near non existent other than a few new ones. What else is out there? And I like the 80s
Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
I think that's the same bottom used on the VR1 . The boat is great looking . Had my friend check it out and he gave it the thumbs up, but it was too far away from me to travel the 3000 + miles round trip for it. Should be real fast.
I called on it this summer, and never got to price. So when I saw the ad thought better pull the trigger. Only issue is the owner wants it gone before the weekend.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

That 28 PP was at our shop, really cool boat.
Heres a 26 Sutphen we restored for a customer, runs 80ish
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/la...7ba3b#h777ba3b
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered

Default Gorgeous!

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
That 28 PP was at our shop, really cool boat.
Heres a 26 Sutphen we restored for a customer, runs 80ish
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/la...7ba3b#h777ba3b
Almost pulled the trigger on one for sale a couple yrs back.

A 28' PP is maybe at the top of my list along w/a 29' Progression.One thing that slows me down on most though is limited access to the bow. My Sonic has side deck all the way from cockpit to bow and we are at anchor at least once every time we go out.

Banshee, post some pix's on here of your Sonic. Being the 24' O/B historian (spent more on them than anybody on the planet!) I thought I'd seen them all but don't remember yours.
Also, I'm not a fan of step bottom vee's for what I want. As far as the '80's..., I'm still stuck there.
I think that bottom is the fastest Steve ever pinned and the same as the one that set many records way back when and the same as the one just rebuilt by the two young men on here.
You'll love it. I'm jealous.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice pics! There's been plenty of 30 & 24 Superboats w/OB's. I don't know who owns this but I love this pic!
Attached Thumbnails Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-30superboat.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Default Yep.

Originally Posted by Dave M
Nice pics! There's been plenty of 30 & 24 Superboats w/OB's. I don't know who owns this but I love this pic!
The 30's are gorgeous. I spent a lot of time staring at the one recently listed in Long Island. Two actually.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

27 Kryptonite was running high 90s low 100s with 280s I believe
Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Registered

Default I remember reading that.

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
27 Kryptonite was running high 90s low 100s with 280s I believe
They loose me when they go from performance/pleasure to race. Still admire them but not for me. Becomes a cat. When you're done playing then what??
I understand that I am the 1/10 of 1% that actually use this style/size of boat for a weekender but I/we do and that changes a ton.
I've said forever that if I could get funding and build an up to date version of what I have......, pad, 2nd set of full strakes, construction method etc, etc, I might be content for a while and think I could sell them. 70 w/a single DI 300 ??
Performance is big for me but after that afternoon blast, then it becomes cabin access,cabin size, and access to front deck.
I went to the Miami show twice while my antique was in process and my brain was mush and the Mrs told me "lets just buy something new and be done". Closest thing I ever found was the twin O/B Velocity (I think called a 32' now) which I don't think had a sun lounge which is another deal breaker to me. I really liked the 30' Concept but no sun lounge (or storage under it) either and after what I went through to add one to my Sonic....., kinda like our patio when at anchor. It's a must have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.