Notices

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy

Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
Hi Smarty,
I would usually do before and after comparisons but logistically as we are in England and i needed the bare castings to check wall thicknesses before i did the reprofiling this just wouldn't work for me, but if i've got it wrong i'm pretty handy with a welder

Peter
Sounds good, I hope you see a performance gain, good luck.

Last edited by Smarty; 10-01-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added the word gain
Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Beautiful work!

Just curious on your on thoughts regarding the trailing edge, whether to have a square edge or sharp edge? Also, did you do you anything to offset the symmetry of the skeg because it is a single engine application?
By the looks of the second to last pic the trailing edge looks pretty sharp.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see pic's from forward an from the back (stearn) LOL I did the same an it did help keep a bravo loaded on getting on plane with a ITS. XR I think. It's was in 03 LOL. Artie
Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

awesome project! thanks for the pics!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, this is the first SV29 built with an Ilmor package. We are excited to see this build come together. I will post some pictures as the boat comes along.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few more shots of the almost completed lower unit, i will leave the final sharpening of the edges until the drive is installed on the boat as there is a possibility that it could get a few marks in transit.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-001.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-002.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-003.jpg  

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-004.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-005.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice work but clearly some of the effort you put in is from an esthetics stand point since the underside of the cavitation plate will be well out of the water once at speed. Wouldn't you agree? Looks great even if it doesn't yield you 1mph. I didn't notice nor measure any real difference in my profiled lowers. I was told high speed steering stability would also benefit from this process. Again not something me the NON-RACER was able to notice but I don't think one can go wrong cleaning up the surfaces to make them smother & symetrical.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Very nice work but clearly some of the effort you put in is from an esthetics stand point since the underside of the cavitation plate will be well out of the water once at speed. Wouldn't you agree? Looks great even if it doesn't yield you 1mph. I didn't notice nor measure any real difference in my profiled lowers. I was told high speed steering stability would also benefit from this process. Again not something me the NON-RACER was able to notice but I don't think one can go wrong cleaning up the surfaces to make them smother & symetrical.
Hi NASCAT,
Totally agree that the under side of the cavitation plate will gain no speed but as the boat will be run in salt water mostly the better finish that you put on the lower unit the less corrosion you get and it is much easier to keep looking nice with a bit of WD40 and a scotchbrite pad every time you come out. I have also done the sides and top of the cavitation plate for the same reason, plus it has quite a nice "bling" factor....

Peter
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great. Normally the lower is painted ILMOR silver from where it begins to flair out towards the cavitaion plate all the way to the top side so it matches the upper which is also Silver. My WCM profiled lowers shown here.
Attached Thumbnails Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-profiled-lowers-side.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
No speed gain from having the lowers done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.