Notices

Sv29/ilmor 725/indy

Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Looks great. Normally the lower is painted ILMOR silver from where it begins to flair out towards the cavitaion plate all the way to the top side so it matches the upper which is also Silver. My WCM profiled lowers shown here.
Peter, comparing your lower to Nascats, your skeg looks longer (deeper). Did you cut yours down or is that how it came from Ilmor?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my lowers done at the same time the drives were apart to have the gear ratio changed as well as swapped the prop rotation so there wasn't any way to really A / B the lowers & isolate the gain to just the blueprinting of the lowers. I also had just added a tunnel tab. All changes made yielded a positive result but to this day actual top speed potential is unknown b/c I'm out of prop & couldn't put my hands on a set of 39's when I needed them.

The laws of physics alone will tell you having a true & symmetrical lower bullet & skeg over one w/ a rougher cast finish & maybe even a slight bow in it. Unless you did all your A / B testing the same day in the same conditions & temperatures & continued to refill the fuel to the same level I don't think one can really pin point where the measurable gain came from. I don't know too many people that do thjat when they are prop testing etc.

My skegs are stock length to my knowledge.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Peter, comparing your lower to Nascats, your skeg looks longer (deeper). Did you cut yours down or is that how it came from Ilmor?
Hi Coolerman,
Your observations are correct... the skeg has been cut down to reduce drag and be more suited to the smaller diameter propellers we will be using, it is still 1" lower than the bottom of the blade.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-001.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-002.jpg   Sv29/ilmor 725/indy-003.jpg  

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I run 16.25 dia 5 blade Herings props & my skegs are probably closer to 2" below the blade but I also have a Cat & not a Vee.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter

Not to change the subject , but I see in your avatar that there is a race car , and the track looks a lot like watkins glen where I live . Have you ever been up here for vintage racing or anything else. We have a lot of speed boats on the lake , if you ever bring that 29OL up we would love to show you a great time Racing/Boating.

Regards

Wellcrafted

Last edited by wellcrafted; 10-02-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Who cares about the drive, check out that calendar on the wall behind him!! Nice!!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wellcrafted
Peter

Not to change the subject , but I see in your avatar that there is a race car , and the track looks a lot like watkins glen where I live . Have you ever been up here for vintage racing or anything else. We have a lot of speed boats on the lake , if you ever bring that 29OL up we would love to show you a great time Racing/Boating.

Regards

Wellcrafted
Hi Wellcrafted,
The picture is at Spa in Belgium enjoying one of my other hobbies, would love to drive Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca one day.....

Peter
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my lowers done at the same time the drives were apart to have the gear ratio changed as well as swapped the prop rotation so there wasn't any way to really A / B the lowers & isolate the gain to just the blueprinting of the lowers. I also had just added a tunnel tab. All changes made yielded a positive result but to this day actual top speed potential is unknown b/c I'm out of prop & couldn't put my hands on a set of 39's when I needed them.

The laws of physics alone will tell you having a true & symmetrical lower bullet & skeg over one w/ a rougher cast finish & maybe even a slight bow in it. Unless you did all your A / B testing the same day in the same conditions & temperatures & continued to refill the fuel to the same level I don't think one can really pin point where the measurable gain came from. I don't know too many people that do thjat when they are prop testing etc.

I think when you have a boat with a lower top end (60-100) it is easier to quantify if changes have made any difference. Here in biscayne bay on a calm day you can run 90mph for a long ways and it gives you time to play with trim and other things to see what the real top end is, go both directions ect. On your cat running 140 or 150+ you are covering so much ground you can only spend so much time at top speed and also find a day where it is suitable to do so, I think it makes it harder to tell if there has been any improvement.

If your boat tops out at 80 and you run it often and frequently hit top speed which is not problem in an 80mph boat then you have a better idea of how conditions, temp, wind, load affect top end. When your boat goes 150 how often can you really go that speed?

I guess a better test would be at a known rpm say 4000 has the speed changed after any improvements.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yarrowtavern
I think if ilmor thought their drive could be improved they would of changed their drive. I think i would keep the warranty and leave the design to the pros
Given Peter's communication with Ilmor, I would suspect that they will warranty the drive, sans a case failure due to insufficient wall thickness in an area that Peter re-worked. Peter may not be a "pro", but he has put a lot of experience, thought and effort into his work, and Ilmor will have a chance to review it before they install the internals. You can bet that they'll let him know if they see something that they don't like. Ilmor is a very nimble and flexible company, they never turn down an opportunity to learn something.

The problem is that all manufacturers have to work with cast lower units, which are subject to warpage during the casting, machining, and heat-treatment processes. The issue is important enough that the old APBA LLC insisted on CNC-blueprinted lowers from Mercury for the initial SuperCat class many years ago. This adds a significant cost to the production of these drives, and may not yield results that Joe Boater would recognize, but racers probably will. Besides that, there are plenty of theories on lower unit hydrodynamics. A quick look at the various manufacturers' products will demonstrate that.

As far as back-to back tests go, I can state from personal experience that Ilmor lower units can be swapped in less than five minutes. Heck - Depending on what gear ratio Peter uses, I may loan him mine for a test!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new set of 39's your welcome to try- chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.