Boat Purchase and the future? >

Boat Purchase and the future?

Notices

Boat Purchase and the future?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

[QUOTE=lucky strike;3787140
You cant loose 50k on a 35k boat like I would have if I kept my Cigarette & tryed to sell it today.
[/QUOTE]

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner! You might not be the cool kid on the block, but there is something to be said for not stretching for any purchase, especially a boat. Out 3 boats are paid for, are old, and not so cool, but they do not kill us on depreciation or expenses either.

That said, if you have the cash flow and you want a bass ass boat, go for it!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
If you work hard, you should be able to enjoy yourself. Does any boat make sense?Of course not. You can't keep every dollar you make and you can't take it with you. You should follow your heart and buy what makes you happy. You can always make more money and you only have one life, so enjoy it!
+1, in the last 8 months I got rid of two boats and a motorhome. Cost me 72k because of the negative equity. Taught me a huge lesson on buying with cash, or financing and signing to 10% down loans. I'm all for financing boats, but just make sure your in the right loan. Nothing like watching your boat off to the next buyer and writing a check out for 20k to do it. Sucked but my credit score is to important to me. If your business-job is tight, family is taken care of, long term finances are looking good, and the roof you live under is in good shape financially and structurally, get the boat you want you deserve it.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't think your going to find a very nice top gun for 50-60k. You need to figure out how much you want to spend first, then go and find the nicest turn key boat in that range. still some deals out there but it looks like prices are starting to go up. not sure why.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I don't think your going to find a very nice top gun for 50-60k. You need to figure out how much you want to spend first, then go and find the nicest turn key boat in that range. still some deals out there but it looks like prices are starting to go up. not sure why.
Yes, that is the down side of wanting a Gun, have to spend more $. I'm looking at Cafe Racers too.

Not a Gun but a really nice 38 flat deck:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o47650-en.html

Jeez, you guys got me more confused now than before! I do like the idea of staying a bit conservative and having extra play money for gas, food and lodging when boating.

But on the other hand, I don't want to get what I call a "but boat". A but boat is one that you buy and like but you keep saying, "I like my boat BUT I wish I got a Cigarette" or "BUT I wish I got a 38 footer" or "BUT I wish I got an 80 MPH boat".
Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh

Jeez, you guys got me more confused now than before! I do like the idea of staying a bit conservative and having extra play money for gas, food and lodging when boating.

I posted this a few weeks ago in the bilge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW5IdwltaAc
US Debt Dilemna explained........good 5 minute video outlining big trouble for the US in the next 10 years or less!

I would look at the big picture, look at how many boat companies are gone or hanging by a thread. How many long term owners have stopped buying?

I heard a recent story from a client regarding a failed sale on a 3.5mm Viking. Guy had the cash to buy the boat, wanted to put 1mm down and finance the rest. No bank in the US would take the deal. The broker was just trying to convince the guy to buy it outright for cash (to get the deal closed). Buyer had a one liner that was memorable: Why would I buy something for new 3.5mm with over 25% down if the banks won't finance it now? What will happen when I want to sell, the banks will not finance it as a new boat then who will finance it as a used boat for the guy that wants to buy it from me?

Broker was stumped........didn't have an answer/ no sale.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Definetly worried about the future but life only happens once.
Yup

You can't take it with you either.

Me and my GF (wife to be) ARE 30, no kids, no family left either. So we are savings a bit for the boat we want (could buy smaller or not what we want now with cash). However we dont want to compromise and dont want regrets...you only live once and you need too enjoy it!

Last edited by Nate5.0; 09-30-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is the down side of wanting a Gun, have to spend more $. I'm looking at Cafe Racers too.

But on the other hand, I don't want to get what I call a "but boat". A but boat is one that you buy and like but you keep saying, "I like my boat BUT I wish I got a Cigarette" or "BUT I wish I got a 38 footer" or "BUT I wish I got an 80 MPH boat".
Buy the boat and make it what YOU want. Run it for a season and rebuild the power and drives, while it is apart repaint the bildge. Run it again for a season or two and do the interior. The next year do the panels, guages, and paint if you have to. Then you have it exactly the way YOU want and with a good maintenence schedule and detailing will last for many years to come. If you find a good deal and you play your cards right there should be minimal loss when you decide to sell.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Go for it - youve been responsible enough to pay off EVERYTHING else, so reward yourself with the boat you want, not a comproimise boat.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.pier57.com/web/used/Cigar...inois/2708831/

Here ya go, cash out refinance your paid off house buy boat cash then tell the government its not your fault the bank should not have loaned you the money and the cut your morgage 50%.

Before anyone freaks out I am being sarcastic, really you are in a much better position than 97% of the country. I say go buy what you want.

Last edited by Expensive Date; 09-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Weren't you the one that said to "stay away from blower motors"? Nah, I must be thinking of somebody else. Whoever it was, saved me a bundle of money. Thank you.

I would build a spreadsheet, with one column for the lower priced, smaller boat, and the other column the Top Gun. Put in the purchase price, taxes, registration, gasoline, maintenance, engine rebuild $/hr, drive rebuild $/hr, etc. Add it all up, and see how it fits in your budget. You may get your answer right away.

I use $5/gallon for gas in my projections, although I may change that to $6/gallon if the oppressive political climate doesn't improve. Based on boattest.com data, I use some round numbers of 2.5 mpg for a 25 ft single, 1.5 mpg for a 30 ft twin, and 1 mpg for a 38 ft twin.

So at 50 mph, your fuel costs are:

$100/hr for the 25 ft. single
$167/hr for the 30 ft. twin
$250/hr for the 38 ft. twin

You could also look at what you can cut back on to pay for a larger boat. Perhaps there are some hobbies that are costing more than you are getting out of them now. Perhaps you have lost interest in some things. I would even go through all your expenses, and see where you can save (cable TV that's not being watched, phone plans, water, etc.). It's always good to clean house.

My new philosophy is "If I can't pay cash for it, then I can't afford it." That has stopped me from buying a lot of things I shouldn't. You also look a lot harder at the overall condition, and future costs. If the economy drops, I don't have a payment hanging over my head to add to the stress. A boat should be a stress reliever in my book.

There is no doubt a Gun is of good value here on the Pacific. My ride in Kevin's boat convinced me of that. We can have big water here, and the Gun handles it well. You just have to be sure you can afford to run it, because it doesn't do any good sitting on the trailer all the time. As far as rafting, that bores me to death. I'd rather be on a sailboat. At least you are moving, even if it is slowly.

Good luck, Al.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-30-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.