Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Purchase and the future? >

Boat Purchase and the future?

Notices

Boat Purchase and the future?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that you should decide what you want and then go do it. If you want to spend 60k on a boat, go ahead. Just be sure that you have enough free cash to cover all your ownership costs (taxes, insurance, storage), operating and maintenance costs, and a OH S..T fund, so when something breaks, it doesn't end the fun. There is nothing worse than an expensive, broken down toy that you can't comfortably get fixed. Buy a boat and have fun.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
So I'm getting my ducks in a row for my next boat purchase. I sold my last boat to move up to a Top Gun or similar and have been looking at a lot of different boats.

I've also looked at a few 30 to 35 footers for less money but would ultimately be a compromise.

So here's my dilemma:

Step up to $50K to $65K for a Gun or similar 38 footer.

Be conservative and spend $25K to $45K on a smaller yet still very capable boat.

Don't buy anything and just bum rides off friends.

A little financial background:

I have a great job that keeps getting better every day. Business has been really good and we are booked up for months in advance (Commercial roofing company).

My wife has a decent job with good benefits and she's been there for 20 years (waste disposal company serving San Diego +)

My house is paid for as are my cars.

I can pay cash for the smaller boat (after a couple more months of savings) but would have to borrow for the larger boat and I don't like doing that.

I am worried about the future of our country regardless of who gets elected next. With our national debt and out of control spending both federal and state (CA) and our GNP declining with jobs going overseas and our trade deficit, I'm reluctant to spend money on a toy that will depreciate. I am also worried about gas prices and massive inflation.

Without getting too political, it seems this country will continually elect officials who will promise free stuff forsaking the future.

The bottom line is that I can afford another boat but not sure if I should or if I should just stay conservative. Am I being a worry wart? What would be the worst case scenario, I have a boat that would sit in the back yard because gas was too expensive? Or the economy really goes to hell (worse than now) and I have no income, sell the house and live in the boat?

I'm leaning towards the middle ground, $25K to $30K boat (there is a certain ex-race boat I have my eye on). It would be paid for and still capable of running big water and going a decent speed. Even if it lost all its value it would still be less than a fraction of my annual income and a loss I could deal with.

I know you can never really financially justify a boat purchase and in the past I have never wanted to calculate my costs. I always tell my wife that it would be cheaper to rent a helicopter and fly to Catalina than to take the boat. The boat is just a hell of a lot more fun and that's why we spend the money.

I know there are a bunch of OSOers that are blue collar guys like me and not high rollers. Do any of you worry about the future? Or like someone in a movie once said, sometimes you just have to say fock it!
Someone needs to take You out in there Gun. Let You drive. Then You will save Your money an get the Gun an be happy. My .02 Artie
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and you have no kids boats are way cheaper than kids. So if you plan on not reproducing then I would not worry about it.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Oh, and you have no kids boats are way cheaper than kids. So if you plan on not reproducing then I would not worry about it.
Well sorry. I didn't think about that. Mines grown. Artie
Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
Weren't you the one that said to "stay away from blower motors"? Nah, I must be thinking of somebody else. Whoever it was, saved me a bundle of money. Thank you.

I would build a spreadsheet, with one column for the lower priced, smaller boat, and the other column the Top Gun. Put in the purchase price, taxes, registration, gasoline, maintenance, engine rebuild $/hr, drive rebuild $/hr, etc. Add it all up, and see how it fits in your budget. You may get your answer right away.

I use $5/gallon for gas in my projections, although I may change that to $6/gallon if the oppressive political climate doesn't improve. Based on boattest.com data, I use some round numbers of 2.5 mpg for a 25 ft single, 1.5 mpg for a 30 ft twin, and 1 mpg for a 38 ft twin.

So at 50 mph, your fuel costs are:

$100/hr for the 25 ft. single
$167/hr for the 30 ft. twin
$250/hr for the 38 ft. twin

You could also look at what you can cut back on to pay for a larger boat. Perhaps there are some hobbies that are costing more than you are getting out of them now. Perhaps you have lost interest in some things. I would even go through all your expenses, and see where you can save (cable TV that's not being watched, phone plans, water, etc.). It's always good to clean house.

My new philosophy is "If I can't pay cash for it, then I can't afford it." That has stopped me from buying a lot of things I shouldn't. You also look a lot harder at the overall condition, and future costs. If the economy drops, I don't have a payment hanging over my head to add to the stress. A boat should be a stress reliever in my book.

There is no doubt a Gun is of good value here on the Pacific. My ride in Kevin's boat convinced me of that. We can have big water here, and the Gun handles it well. You just have to be sure you can afford to run it, because it doesn't do any good sitting on the trailer all the time. As far as rafting, that bores me to death. I'd rather be on a sailboat. At least you are moving, even if it is slowly.

Good luck, Al.

Michael
See Michael, this is why you don't own a boat, they really don't make financial sense!

I have my monthly expenses pretty trimmed. I'm old so don't have fancy phone apps or other electronic habits. With just two of us in a smaller house (1650 sf) our utilities are pretty low. It is a one acre lot but other than having a tractor and spending money on trees and such, it doesn't cost that much.

Kevin now has a 42X with staggered 700/NXT's. Nice setup and I got to drive it a bit. On the way to Catalina in 3 - 4's I looked at my wife and said, "Now you know why I want a Cigarette!". That thing just eats big water and has amazing power. So I know I want a Gun or CR but there is always the trade offs. Older straight bottom Cigs require big power to go my goal of 75 to 80. With big power in heavy boats comes with drive problems. The reason I want those speed goals is so I can cruise at 65 - 70 and not be at full throttle.

There is always the Bullet option too which would require a little less power. There is an older but super clean 38 Fever in Camarillo with brand new 600HP Teague motors, 85 MPH boat.

And Steve's (Lucky Strike) boat, a 31 Sutphen with a very cool racing pedigree. Short money for a cool boat and fairly inexpensive to operate. 70MPH and upgradable. I have never ridden in a Sutphen but do know they have a good reputation. I'm not sure how it would compare to a CR or Gun or the 38 Fountain.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by akaboatman
Someone needs to take You out in there Gun. Let You drive. Then You will save Your money an get the Gun an be happy. My .02 Artie
I have quite a few hours riding in Guns and some behind the wheel all in the Pacific. I drove my buddy's TS/TG with 750 ZUL motors and XR's. He now has a 42X with staggered 700/NXT which I got to drive the other day.

I used to have a classic 1973 Cig 28 OS and for a smaller boat it crushed waves like it was made of concrete!

The only smaller boat I'm really looking at now is a 31 Sutphen ex race boat, 3 pack with no cabin or frills.

I may have to fly out to Fla and take a ride to see how it compares to the bigger Cigs.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

I have quite a few hours riding in Guns and some behind the wheel all in the Pacific. I drove my buddy's TS/TG with 750 ZUL motors and XR's. He now has a 42X with staggered 700/NXT which I got to drive the other day.

I used to have a classic 1973 Cig 28 OS and for a smaller boat it crushed waves like it was made of concrete!

The only smaller boat I'm really looking at now is a 31 Sutphen ex race boat, 3 pack with no cabin or frills.

I may have to fly out to Fla and take a ride to see how it compares to the bigger Cigs.
Great to hear. We left cig an went back. Dont have one now but maybe again. I'm getting old enough for a 400ss but still trying to hang on LOL. Artie
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

See Michael, this is why you don't own a boat, they really don't make financial sense!

I have my monthly expenses pretty trimmed. I'm old so don't have fancy phone apps or other electronic habits. With just two of us in a smaller house (1650 sf) our utilities are pretty low. It is a one acre lot but other than having a tractor and spending money on trees and such, it doesn't cost that much.

Kevin now has a 42X with staggered 700/NXT's. Nice setup and I got to drive it a bit. On the way to Catalina in 3 - 4's I looked at my wife and said, "Now you know why I want a Cigarette!". That thing just eats big water and has amazing power. So I know I want a Gun or CR but there is always the trade offs. Older straight bottom Cigs require big power to go my goal of 75 to 80. With big power in heavy boats comes with drive problems. The reason I want those speed goals is so I can cruise at 65 - 70 and not be at full throttle.

There is always the Bullet option too which would require a little less power. There is an older but super clean 38 Fever in Camarillo with brand new 600HP Teague motors, 85 MPH boat.

And Steve's (Lucky Strike) boat, a 31 Sutphen with a very cool racing pedigree. Short money for a cool boat and fairly inexpensive to operate. 70MPH and upgradable. I have never ridden in a Sutphen but do know they have a good reputation. I'm not sure how it would compare to a CR or Gun or the 38 Fountain.
My car habit doesn't make financial sense either. I'm just a bit slow at expanding the madness with boats.

The Camarillo 38 Fever looks pretty clean, especially if it has been stored indoors all its life as they said it has. I'd be concerned about how long those engines and drives are going to last though. You can eat up a lot of money on rebuilds, that could have been used for gas to get out on the water. Don't forget you would best add fresh water engine cooling before hitting the salt, since the engines have aluminum heads.

The Cigarette flat deck looks nice also, assuming they did a good job on the restoration. The #4 should last better than Bravos, but don't hit anything with those expensive 5 blade props. They should chop up the seaweed pretty well.

A blower motor in a boat running 70 is probably close to 0 manifold vacuum, which is the same as a naturally aspirated engine at full throttle. In fact, it's a bit worse, because you have additional load from the blower. It might make you feel better because the sticks aren't pushed all the way forward, but It will put the same wear and tear on the engine (if not more) and drives, as a naturally aspirated engine at full throttle.

BTW, I can't see you getting a boat without a cabin. You're one of the few people who used theirs.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-30-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Registered

It's not the boat that is the expensive part. It's everything else that goes along with it. Unless you already have room to store it and a truck to pull it those are additional expenses. Nevermind the 250 gallons of fuel to fill the thing.

Not to mention, if you pop a motor in a 50K boat, it's still going to cost you 5-10-15K for a rebuild or a new one, depending on power. Just a few other things to keep in mind....
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Al you got to pay if you want to play
Hell i sold all of my other toys so i could get that gun last year and no regrets.
Was it the smartest purchase i have ever made? probably not but it has been a lot of fun and having it is a lot better than waiting for the day i can go get another Cig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.