How do you clean boat cover?

Notices

How do you clean boat cover?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
My red boat cover WAS dirty and HAD black mold on it .
I pressure washed my driveway to have a clean surface to place boat cover.I put dirty side down wet it with water hose and laundry detergent then pressure wash (3000 psi washer) turn over pressure wash 2nd. side. It removed ALL the mold and most all the dirt, three 1/2 in. diameter spots remain (wine stains?).With no visible signs of damage to boat cover.
Warning pressure washing can cause personal and property damage or death. ( BE CAREFUL ! )
Did you waterproof the fabric after doing that?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you apply waterproofing while the cover is stretched out nicely on the boat? 303 or scotchguard
Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Sunbrella - At one of those giant laundromat machines - gentle cycle, cold/cold, with Woolite delicate fabric soap. As soon as it's done, get it over to the boat and snap it in place to stretch the threads out. It will dry.

If the fabric is good, you won't need a water repellent. Soil gets in between the threads, spreads them out, sunbrella then leaks. Washing it gets the crud out, the threads even out, no more leaks. If yours leaks (assuming you don't having pooling water) after washing, the fabric is shot. If you have pooling water in the cover because you haven't propped it up correctly, fix the problem by supporting the fabric properly.

Got this info years ago from Sunbrella. It works.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
My red boat cover WAS dirty and HAD black mold on it .
I pressure washed my driveway to have a clean surface to place boat cover.I put dirty side down wet it with water hose and laundry detergent then pressure wash (3000 psi washer) turn over pressure wash 2nd. side. It removed ALL the mold and most all the dirt, three 1/2 in. diameter spots remain (wine stains?).With no visible signs of damage to boat cover.
Warning pressure washing can cause personal and property damage or death. ( BE CAREFUL ! )
Originally Posted by Panther
Did you waterproof the fabric after doing that?
The boat is kept in garage, i did not think about waterproofing .What product waterproofs and protects from sun damage?