How do you clean boat cover?

Notices

How do you clean boat cover?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean boat cover?

Brother in-law just asked me if you can clean a boat cover and if so do you just use soap and water. I tried doing a search but the search isn't working for me right now.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soap water and a brush but if you have a normal cover that you roll up you have to keep it clean because when you roll up a dirty cover you put all that crap that was on the outside on the inside and when you go to put it on all that crap ends up on the hull and interior.
Brett
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

For my cockpit cover, I have a "special" wood fence that I hang mine on and hose it off, let it air dry, turn it over and repeat.

No soap or scrubbing needed. Every once in a while if I have Sea Gull S#&% on it I'll hose it good and use a finger to rub the white spot. A rag or brush might be a better choice but I'm always in too much of a hurry to go fetch the stuff.

My boat lives indoors so the cover dosen't get too dirty, but I do tow with it and use it as a mooring cover.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Was thinking about going to the laundry mat & putting mine in on a light cycle, wouldn't hurt it would it?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
Was thinking about going to the laundry mat & putting mine in on a light cycle, wouldn't hurt it would it?
I asked this same question to my local upholstery guy (he's been doing it all his life) and he said to do what I'm doing. He seemed to think that the washer is tougher on the material (Sunbrella in my case) then it needs to be.

Like I said though, my cover is just getting dirt on it and hosing it gets it clean.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i take it off the boat,spread it out in the lawn,,take some dawn dish soap and put some in one of those pump up sprayer and add water,,spray it all over the cover and let it soak,then i brush it with a floor push broom,then i rince it off with a low psi electric pressure washer..
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info. He said it looks like maybe mold is trying to form and wondered what the best way was. I was thinking soap and water but told him I'd check what others thought on here.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've got mold issues, you may want to try a solution of Spray Nine or some other cleaner that will kill the mold spores. A stiff scrub brush will be a must. Wash both sides, rinse super-well, and look into a mold-killer like Kanberra Gel to put in the boat while it's covered.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My red boat cover WAS dirty and HAD black mold on it .
I pressure washed my driveway to have a clean surface to place boat cover.I put dirty side down wet it with water hose and laundry detergent then pressure wash (3000 psi washer) turn over pressure wash 2nd. side. It removed ALL the mold and most all the dirt, three 1/2 in. diameter spots remain (wine stains?).With no visible signs of damage to boat cover.
Warning pressure washing can cause personal and property damage or death. ( BE CAREFUL ! )
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM
JnT
Registered

I had mine dry cleaned 2 years ago
but had to re apply a water repellent. I think we used scotch guard. I need to do it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.