Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Volvo's new small block beats its 8.1 big block >

Volvo's new small block beats its 8.1 big block

Notices

Volvo's new small block beats its 8.1 big block

Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who else thinks merc is missing the proverbial boat here? ls motors are going to be big. 565 seems nice but 8.7l and 565 hp? come on its 2012. an ls3 with a decent cam is 565+hp. gm 454 lsx long block throw some marine parts on it you have ilmore 570, a different cam and that motor is over 700hp . Ilmore, plesure craft,Volvo, indamar all have ls motors where are you merc?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

They make power for the audience as a whole and that's the audience they THINK exists as a whole. If you start seeing boat makers start putting in these Volvo small blocks as competition to 496s, I would hope Mercury would wake the hell up.

For my personal decision making, I run on Lake Travis which can be a complete washing machine on a good day. My 22' boat didn't cut it, so I wanted something bigger for much nicer ride and the speed is nice. The 72 I get out my small blocks is great, if I could get more out of other small blocks, sign me up! My friends with big blocks are certainly faster (depending on the hull), but when we talk fuel bills, I am sure they are a bit jealous. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks like this.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

And I don't think gas will be going down any time soon the fuel mileage is over the top and no performance loss win win da
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
merc does not cut corners, they are very specifically designed and engineered points of failure.
lmao