Baja 33 or 35 or Fountain 35 or 38

Notices

Baja 33 or 35 or Fountain 35 or 38

Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Agreed, there used to be a SIGNIFICANT difference in price between Bajas and comparable Fountains, now, the gap has closed up and in some cases the Fountains are actually cheaper.

Another difference is the Baja is a straight hull and the Fountain is stepped, which will be faster, but, sometimes a little more difficult to drive.

KUDOS! To ALL posters on this thread, it was Pleasant surprise to open this thread and NOT read a bunch of BS posts like: "Baja sucks" or "fountains are over rated" etc.

No wonder I love this site (-:
My straight bottom 10 meter with the same power kicks my friends asses 33 baja. Not even close in speeds and handling. The baja has a much bigger cockpit, cabin is about the same size and the fountain bilge is much bigger ,the baja is tiny. Also I know people say about the beak on a fountain stretches the size but I had mine drive to drive and it actually is longer.If you look at the nose on the fountain and the baja the baja cuts back at a much bigger angle witch gives it less wetted surface. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fountain will cut through boat chop like butter and have a smoother ride at higher speeds.
The Baja will have more head room in the cabin and run 10-15mph slower.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned a 2003 36 outlaw, with twin 500 hp and blowers, and now I own a 2004 fountain 38 lighting big step side by side with 575scis. I will list IMO pro's and cons for you.

best top Speed (they had comparable power) Baja 78 mph, fountain 92.7 mph

Handling, Fountain- I know some of you will think otherwise, but the big step fountain wins here as well. It is more stable and more locked in that the Baja was, hands down.

Wave cutting- Fountain. The Fountain cuts where the baja will "hop", I thought I was crazy when I saw they wave this thing was eating white caps with the tabs down, then I saw the advantage first hand next to my friends 36 baja side by side.

Cabin space- Baja, no question the room in the cabin goes to the baja. Real storage, open and airy feel, fridge, hatches light let more sun in. The storage in the fountain is a joke. However, the fountain bed is roomier and has its own over head hatch. For sleeping I prefer the fountain.

Bathroom -Fountain, neither is great, the fountain bathroom is bigger and is higher quality

Cabin quality- Fountain. I had many problems with fastners, headliner, and cheap plastic pieces in my baja

Cockpit space, Baja (on these models) The fountain is not bad, the baja is just over the top. However, besides running 4 bolsters what do you do with all that space?

Bilge engine access- Fountain. Extreme difference, you could almost 4 engines in the fountain. Starter changes in minutes with the exhaust on. Room to lay down in front of engines (not comfortable but possible)

interior- tie. Mcloed bolster on the SST package are awesome and beat out the fountain bolsters, however the rest of the baja interior is sub par to the fountain. Fountain uses "thru-bolting" on everything, where baja uses wood screws into glass and cheap body clips.

rigging- Fountain, again by far. True off shore mounts, superior wiring, quality components every where, not just where you can see.

The baja is a good boat, however I know I would now never own another. The fountain is a step above, with a sacrafice in cabin room, both width and head room.

The common complaint you will hear about fountain from someone that DOESNT own one is that the legnth is a lie. Not true my friend. When you run faster than others, they will make excuses.

For me a 35/36 against the 38 is an easy choice to a fountain. However, the 33 outlaw vs the 35 fountain would be a tougher one for me. The 33 baja is closer in speed with the same power, has a ton more room than the 35 fountain. Wave cutting and handling would still go to the fountian, but that 33 hull might be the best all around that baja has ever made.

Last edited by 4bus; 10-15-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
...wave cutting and handling would still go to the Fountain, but that 33 hull might be the best all around that Baja has ever made.
I agree. There are times I miss my 33 Outlaw. Mostly when I'm driving my car and reminiscing. Then I get in the Fountain, and don't miss the Baja any more.

But for most people starting out, a 33 Baja is a fine choice. A great first twin boat that can actually run offshore. Looks great, lots of room, ease of handling winner. Another fine choice is the 33 Donzi. A friend has one and its an excellent boat at that length. All the above will perform well and be comfortable, but the Fountain will perform better and the Baja may be more comfortable.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
I agree. There are times I miss my 33 Outlaw. Mostly when I'm driving my car and reminiscing. Then I get in the Fountain, and don't miss the Baja any more.

But for most people starting out, a 33 Baja is a fine choice. A great first twin boat that can actually run offshore. Looks great, lots of room, ease of handling winner. Another fine choice is the 33 Donzi. A friend has one and its an excellent boat at that length. All the above will perform well and be comfortable, but the Fountain will perform better and the Baja may be more comfortable.
Going from a 33 outlaw to a 38 or 42 fountain I can understand, however if you went from a 33 OL to a 35 fountain you might miss it even more.

I slept in my boat last year at least 20 times, there are better boats to overnight in as much as I do, however I wouldn't trade my bottom or speed. It can sometimes be tight in the 38 packing for 4 day weekends, a 35 fountain might have put me over the top!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Going from a 33 outlaw to a 38 or 42 fountain I can understand, however if you went from a 33 OL to a 35 fountain you might miss it even more.

I slept in my boat last year at least 20 times, there are better boats to overnight in as much as I do, however I wouldn't trade my bottom or speed. It can sometimes be tight in the 38 packing for 4 day weekends, a 35 fountain might have put me over the top!
In my marina there are three 42, a 38, 2 35's and a 32 Fountain. There's the 33 Donzi guy, a 382 Formula, a Baja 40 Outlaw and a 39 Outerlimits. I looked into all of them and know what you mean. The 35 Fountain guy (who has a pic in Powerboat in his boat jumping about 12' out of the water) spends the night out the most. He never complains. But, you should see the girls he brings...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you on what boat is better or not, but I have
My buddy bringing me his 2006 Ex 35 with 525s, it had 28
Hours in it. This boat is like new. He wants me to sell it.
Let me know if you want to see pics.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all love the brands we run but I think you'll really like the 38 fountain and the 35 baja for the room they offer over the smaller choices, but in the end imo the 35 outlaw has more room and the cockpit has a better lay out. You need to actually get on them to see the difference.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default baja or fountain

look in the engine compartment of a 35 Fountain and then look in the engine compartment of a Baja that should make up your mind.