Best Way to Remove Old Fuel >

Best Way to Remove Old Fuel

Notices

Best Way to Remove Old Fuel

Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to Remove Old Fuel

Since I worked out-of-town for most of the summer, my boating season was short to say the least. Now I have around 50 gallons of gas I bought back this spring left in the tank. It's real gas with no ethanol, but come next spring it'll be a full year old. Sta-Bil says its good for up to a year, but I don't want to take the chance.

I tried siphoning through the fuel line, no go.
I tried getting a plastic hose down the filler, but it gets stuck at the 90° entering the tank, no go.
Maybe trying a softer rubber hose, like surgical rubber might make it past the 90°, I don't know.

Any Ideas? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See entry #21 and 22. Remove the boats fuel line from the filter input side and use hose clamp to connect it to the drainage pump system.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...se-them-3.html

Last edited by On Time; 10-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

I recently had to do the same thing, bought a used boat which had old gas in it. I tried several different ways as you listed above. I ended up un hooking my main fuel supply at the fuel pump on the engine connected a 12v fuel pump to the line added a 7-8 ft hose on he outlet side of the pump & pumped it all out. I had about 75 gallons only took about 30 min.

This way ensures you get it all out where if you siphon you can't get it all out.

Is your boat already equipped with an elec. fuel pump???
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
See entry #21 and 22. Remove the boats fuel line from the filter input side and use hose clamp to connect it to the drainage pump system.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...se-them-3.html
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
I recently had to do the same thing, bought a used boat which had old gas in it. I tried several different ways as you listed above. I ended up un hooking my main fuel supply at the fuel pump on the engine connected a 12v fuel pump to the line added a 7-8 ft hose on he outlet side of the pump & pumped it all out. I had about 75 gallons only took about 30 min.

This way ensures you get it all out where if you siphon you can't get it all out.

It is but for my 525s it was really easy to take the fuel line off at the input side of the filter. The engines were fogged as we ran Sta-Bil ized gas through them. Our high humidity makes high speed boating at less than 50 degrees very unpleasant so I winterize this boat late Oct to early April.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Honestly, I'm not sure. 2001 Powerquest with 502 MAG MPI. Quick Google search looks like I have an external electric pump. A pricy one too!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MacGyver
Honestly, I'm not sure. 2001 Powerquest with 502 MAG MPI. Quick Google search looks like I have an external electric pump. A pricy one too!

haha, most of them are!! I have a couple Holley Blue pumps so that worked out well!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Can you remove your fuel level sending unit? I had 80 gallons of i year old fuel in my Formula and I pumped it out through the sending hole with a transfer pump. Took me about 10 minutes.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

This works perfectly. Electric fuel pump will cost you about $45 at any big box auto parts store. You can find 55 gallon drums on Craigslist all the time. I have mine hooked up to a toggle switch which I "shielded" in a small plastic box. I usually hook mine up to a jump box or any old battery which I've thrown on the charger overnight.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

I also pump it out with a electric fuel pump but the pump it back thru a mister filter taking out all the water and junk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.