525 EFI,s running rich ??? >

525 EFI,s running rich ???

Notices

525 EFI,s running rich ???

Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 525 EFI,s running rich ???

I was wondering if more people have this ?
My friends Cobalt 343 with 2 x 525 EFI,s are running very rich at idle ,if the engines are warmed up ,they still causing burning eyes when sitting or standing on the aft deck !!
Both engines seem to do this ,we checked the engines with a Merc tool ,no faults ,nothing ,all good .

Is this just the nature of the beast ,and is Merc just running them rich to let them accelerate out of the hole quick ,or is there a cure for this ?
Or do we have to live with this ?
Merc dealer says everything is fine and is working as it should .

Thx A.J
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

if i run 91 octane mine will run rich
they like just good old regular fuel
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Registered

I don,t get how this engine can notice what fuel its running at .. there is no Lambda sensor in the exhaust system to measure what air fuel ratio its running.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you run the 525's and have some cavitation, or over reving the RPM's it dumps fuel to reduce the RPM.s and "save" the engine. Now you running rich and have smoke or dark stuff on your stearn. Don't worry, it's ok.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stirling
I don,t get how this engine can notice what fuel its running at .. there is no Lambda sensor in the exhaust system to measure what air fuel ratio its running.
The motors done run rich or lean from the octane, its how the fuel combust and the mixture of the fuel. Higher octane fuel burns slower, thus it does not burn as clean as a lower octane, which then soots the transom in some cases. If you have a stock 525hp efi, with stock timing, you should run 87 octane and at the highest, 89 octane. 91 should be used for customers with modified spark and air fuel's.

Earlier 525's were richer than the later ones.

Also, some fuels have more additives that will stick to the transom, etc.

I would first try running 87 octane, if this does not eliminate the problem, then you'll want to send your PCM's in to get updated and possibly modified for your application.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the thermostats are stuck open or out the engine temp sensor will keep fuel injection in a choke mod and run rich. this is problem i have run into, oil will smell like gas and level will be up. both engines should seem unlikely, but could happen over time.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

2004's ???
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whipple charged
the motors done run rich or lean from the octane, its how the fuel combust and the mixture of the fuel. Higher octane fuel burns slower, thus it does not burn as clean as a lower octane, which then soots the transom in some cases. If you have a stock 525hp efi, with stock timing, you should run 87 octane and at the highest, 89 octane. 91 should be used for customers with modified spark and air fuel's.

Earlier 525's were richer than the later ones.

Also, some fuels have more additives that will stick to the transom, etc.

I would first try running 87 octane, if this does not eliminate the problem, then you'll want to send your pcm's in to get updated and possibly modified for your application.
bingo
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for input you all ! we are going to try higher octane fuel to see if this helps .
The boat is a 2007 and engines also .
The main problem is into idling around the docks ,reversing ,when standing on the rear ,the gasses burn the eyes ...it that bad ,and unburned fuel can be smelled.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don,t get how this engine can notice what fuel its running at

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.