Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
40 Skater challenges 41 Apache in the rough! >

40 Skater challenges 41 Apache in the rough!

Notices

40 Skater challenges 41 Apache in the rough!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper038
Wholly crap what did you get me into LOL !!!
Kreed You better be there with the Top Gun
Oh Sh!t!!! Hahaha....I miss understood you I guess! But, now that I pushed you out into the pit, I can delete the thread if you like! Hey, We dont want any Apache's breaking trying to keep up!...Hahahaha

The Top Gun will be there.......sitting at the local watering hole watching all the chaos!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thumper038
Humble fan my azz I need all the help I can get
lol Not sure what I can do... but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Oh Sh!t!!! Hahaha....I miss understood you I guess! But, now that I pushed you out into the pit, I can delete the thread if you like! Hey, We dont want any Apache's breaking trying to keep up!...Hahahaha

The Top Gun will be there.......sitting at the local watering hole watching all the chaos!
I went back and reread my posts and to me it was clear but I'm in the pit of hell now thanks

Na let it roll my 20 year old 40 is a tank going to put some N/A 800's in it that should be close in power to speed of the 41 With bigger power.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keytime
lol Not sure what I can do... but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
That will fix it right up!

I have to go pizz my pants and my eyes are watering LMFAO!

Last edited by thumper038; 10-25-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
This was a response to the comparison in the other thread....interesting. ...Although...this is a 46 ft boat, not a 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5jjNXMILI

In this video up to the 1:30 minuite mark we have only been running 30-40 mph and you can see the beating we are taking in the 46 skater. Needless to say it was really choppy. Then when the green flag went up us and almost 100 other boats took off, in the field there were 50' canopied Mystic race boats with turbines, outerlimits with canopies, apache's, big nortechs, ect. plus all of the worlds fastest pleasure boats. At the 3:05 minuite mark we let off and you can see the line of boats that are most of the fastest boats in the world way behind us. The closest boats to us were the canopied race boats with turbines and they were still 1/4 mile back. Keep in mind this was not just a fun run where people were going to go boating. At the dock for the last two hours before the run everyone was saying how they were going to out run everyone, people from there said they run in the rough water there everyday and that they would be in the lead, ect. we did not need to say anyting, we knew there was nothing there that would run with a 14 year old 46 skater that can run 140 in that water. (we went out for a test run and knew how rough it was). We were running in the 130 range for most of that run. We know that if the water had been smoother there were probably 15 boats there that would have beaten us but not in that water. After the first card stop it was rough enough that only 5 or 6 of us went on to the second card stop. We went to all of them. Video is Jim Lee in his 46 skater Freedom US1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Bigyellowcat; Today at 02:24 PM.
so are you saying an older 46 Skater rides better than a newer one?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by riverrat
your memory is failing you it was the Chris Dejouix 410 skater powerboat that was 1st to the card stop in the big water for that poker run,we were there and the 46 and blees were right behind us.
Jeff
That was 2007. I remember Freedom passing BLee, and if you say that Chris did too, I'll believe that. But in 2008 the MTI was out front.

Last edited by WARPARTY36; 10-24-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I love Apaches and I love Skaters.....

I covered a race...a real race over a long course, at 10/10ths with pros in the cockpit, not a bunch of random powered, civilian Poker runners ...who go fast for a while, then back off, then go fast, etc.. in Ocean City Maryland back in the 90's.....

Small Craft warnings prevented a few competitors from actually making it out to the race course in the Atlantic.... A triple engined 46 Apache with supercharged power "Tweets Revenge" (about as hefty a rough water Apache as ever raced) took the early lead. The 40 foot naturally aspirated, Skater " Spirit of Norway" had difficulty at the start and fell behind immediately (In a Poker Run this would have qualified as a "decisive loss") but after getting sorted out and spotting the Apache about 2 miles in the race....The Skater hauled in the bigger boat....aand they both put on a race for the ages.

Bottom line... the Skater spotted the Apache 6 feet, and 50% more power......and still won. There is a part of me that believes a 41 Apache might have done better (better balance and aspect ratio, fewer moving parts and weight)...but still not enough to beat the cat.

The seas were legitimate 6 to 8's with an occasional 7th wave thrown in for jollies. Maybe if the seas had been 10 foot plus a different outcome might have occurred...but nobody races in those conditions....except some Great Lakes guys who think they cruise in 25 foot seas.

:P

P.S. yes this race is on tape.

Last edited by T2x; 10-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by riverrat
your memory is failing you it was the Chris Dejouix 410 skater powerboat that was 1st to the card stop in the big water for that poker run,we were there and the 46 and blees were right behind us.
Jeff
I went back and looked at my video and when we were headed to the first turn/card boat about 1 mile ahead or us in the 43 nortech "OU", Jim in freedom was passing us coming back the other way in the lead and brandon in the 368 was right behind him. you were right infront of us in the 410.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered

Guess I should of said what you said I love Apaches and I love Skaters LOL!
Thanks T2X

We ran 60 + miles across Lake Michigan 3-5's and bigger all summer to St Joe those were some great onion ring stacks at that bar up the river on the right cant remember the name ?

Just past Pier 33 c'mon someone knows it I got brain fade.

Last edited by thumper038; 10-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Best thing that happened when you guys came up was me telling Delo I'd beat him to the City in the afternoon. And I did...cuz he turned around!

I believe that was the year you guys had to stop for an "emergency" break downtown????
Delo didn't turn around we just stopped out there and put the cover on the boat and waited for it to quit raining. Jim ran way out into the lake and went around the storm and made it to the city with out getting wet.

Scott had to drop some stuff off under the bridge down town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.