Hurrican Sandy going to hit NJ.......

Notices

Hurrican Sandy going to hit NJ.......

Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Yup, a year later and my sister, her husband and 3 kids are still homeless in Lower Bank. They finally got permits and new construction has finally begun but it's been a rough road for them.
Good to hear they are into the foundation stage Frank. I hope all goes well for them.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Although the barrier Islands (Mantoloking, Seaside) get all the publicity, the mainland side of the storm affected more people. On my street, (mainland side of Toms River NJ) there are 54 homes, all were flooded. As of today, there are only 12 families back in their homes. Thousands were displaced in the Toms River/Brick NJ areas. Communities like Bayshore, Baywood, Drum Point, Silverton, Snug Harbor, Shelter Cove, and Ocean Gate were all seriously affected, but were never on the News. I guess its more dramatic to show the roller coaster over and over again than to show houses that look "in tact" are vacant-but leaving thousands homeless. Our media sucks, and our Government isn't far behind. If anyone wants to have a "living nightmare" try dealing with FEMA.
Still homeless 1 year later.
I have 2 aunts in Ocean Gate. Almost like a third world war zone.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

I went back to Good Luck Point and it just seemed to me like the storm hit yesterday there. Just a few houses demo'd the rest remain as they were since the storm. I even found a telephone pole still laying through a camper . A house across from it seemed untouched but yet they have been staring at the nightmare ever since…

Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Tim,
Just to clarify, I was not taking a poke at you when I mentioned I was disappointed with our media. I should have specifically said our "news media". I understand its more dramatic to show an ocean front mansion that was knocked off its foundation than an a development of in-tact looking houses that were flooded. Unfortunately, there are probably more homeless people on my street than the entire town of Mantoloking-but it doesn't make for "good TV" news.
Its also frustrating to see the effort and $$ that was thrown at the Seaside Heights Boardwalk. WHY don't they have a Dune in front of the boardwalk?? ..so it can flood again during the next big storm??...and yet the Government tells me to raise my house-for "my protection". If the Government wants to protect us, they should go after the Insurance companies who are F*cking everyone with low ball settlements.
Can you tell I'm angry? ...and evertime I see a "Jersey Strong" bumper sticker, I want to ask; Did you looses anything?..or is it just fashionable to have this sticker. Several of my coworkers have these stickers-and they were uneffected by the storm !! (other than lossing power) it makes me want to puke! OK, I'm done venting for now-till next year's Sandy Anniversary....Survived the storm.....but now a victim of our Governmant/FEMA.

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 10-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

No need to clarify. I knew you weren't poking. I was just as disappointed in them. They painted a pictured of how devastated the Jersey Shore was but when some things got back up and running where was their stories ?? All of tourism was way off this year and a lot had to do with Sandy but just as much as the media. I shared the damage images to provide people an inside look at just what has happened here hoping people would volunteer, donate or do whatever they could to help out. On the other side of that, I also help promote the places I saw reopening.
I just made a video for downtown Manasquan to help bring shoppers into town for Christmas shopping. What I keep hearing from the store owners is that everyone thinks they are closed due to Sandy. My video disproves that. Check it out: Manasquan "Down on Main Street"

Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

http://youtu.be/ArhkO_5aNC0

Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Good to hear they are into the foundation stage Frank. I hope all goes well for them.
Thanks! Especially considering the house was a total loss and the Insurance company only gave them approximately 1/3 value to rebuild from what the house was worth and zero contents covered. Gonna be a while before this is way behind them.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Governor Christie visits Brick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfYYmaBhGo8&feature=share&list=UUdrdfb7YOc66ZG9uaklmGIg

Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Had to get wet to get this shot: