Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone Know who crashed in Muskegon? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28702-anyone-know-who-crashed-muskegon.html)

gofastboater 07-14-2002 09:49 PM

Anyone Know who crashed in Muskegon?

I just heard that a 32' Fountain ran up on the rocks on Muskegon's south outer-arms. Anyone know who owns this boat and are they on this board. I heard that there are two huge holes in the hull where you can see the cabin. Anyone seen the boat? I will know more later, I am going to head out and check this out! Hope no one was hurt. :(

GFB

Waterfoul 07-14-2002 09:56 PM

Jim, I would think that you could get that info easy enough. You know why.

Let us know when you get some details. I know a couple of guys with 32 Fountains. :( :(

gofastboater 07-14-2002 09:58 PM

Mike, I just got into work..you know where and I just heard this. I will get some details here shortly. I will let you know. I did just hear that the boat is out of the east side of Michigan somewhere....will post more here tonight...

GFB

Waterfoul 07-14-2002 10:01 PM

Thanks Jim.

Tinkerer 07-14-2002 10:10 PM

Hey I will have to call Jim Valakeo. He has been looking for a used 32' FOUNTAIN

gofastboater 07-14-2002 10:43 PM

Mike, I found out that the owner, who would want to remain annonomous at this point was alledgally intoxicated. The owner claims that he wasn't on the boat and the it was stolen. The Coast Guard and Marine Patrol units were on the scene and the owner claimed that he was not in the boat and that it was in fact, magically stolen a short period before the accident. There was a fair amount of blood in the boat and on the rocks. The owner could not explain why he had several cuts to his legs and feet. My guess would be he got cut in the accident from the impact and then cut his feet on the sharp rocks climbing out of the boat. I also heard that he gave law enforcement a rather hard time and was not very cooperative either.

I am not posting this to slam anyone but what if that had been me and my wife or anyone else that this guy hit. I belive that stories like this should be told so that others don't make the same mistakes.

I have complained for years to the city commision of Muskegon that they needed to put lights along the breakwall like Grand Haven's pier. There have been three boats so far this year run into the rocks at night. This Fountain makes four. Two of the boats have sunk the others were plucked off the rocks by salvage companies. I will again reach out to the city officals and attempt to get additional lighting to the pier, But I belive that knowlege is power. Know the water your boating in and don't drink and drive.

Jim

Waterfoul 07-14-2002 10:51 PM

Thanks Jim. Was it anyone WE know?? Meaning OSO?? No need to post a name, just whether or not he was an OSO'er.

I agree with the lighting thing. They need more lights on those piers. BUT, you SHOULD know the water you boat in. Charts show that peir system very well, as does a chartplotter. No excuse for hitting it, especially if you were drinking. That's just plain stupid. The boat next to Dave at G.L. Marina was supposedly being driven by an intoxicated driver also when it hit the peir and sank.

gofastboater 07-14-2002 10:56 PM

Foul, I dont' know if the owner is a OSO member or not. I don't know if the owner would post here or not?

How was the air fair. I didn't get a chance to do anything this weekend. The wife put a clamp on me and I ended up finishing some remodeling projects around the house. Ya know I cant go boating or anyting. :p

Waterfoul 07-14-2002 10:58 PM

Air show was cool. They did their high G, full afterburner turns right over us. Litteraly!! Could almost feel the heat from the afterburners!!!

And feel free to go boating. In fact, I'll go with you now that I'm off the water for a while. :(

gofastboater 07-14-2002 10:59 PM

Are you sure that you want to go with me?:D :D I heard about your drive problems. Does it ever end!!!