Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much trouble is this guy in? >

How much trouble is this guy in?

Notices

How much trouble is this guy in?

Old 07-15-2002, 08:34 PM
stevejohns

id say hes in about as much trouble as he deserves to be. Theres no room for that .

Old 07-15-2002, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm certainly not condoning this guy's actions especially since he was a "patrol boat", but I thought I would share an interesting story about tolerance...

Mind you, I am a responsible boater and know my limits and will not drink more than a beer or two throughout the day if I am the captain of any vessel.

I went to a boat show about two summers ago at the civic center with a bunch of friends. I was not driving. We went to the bar first where I consumed about 3 pint sized Captian and Cokes. The local bar here makes them like 50-50 too. Then we went to dinner where we had to wait 45 minutes before we ate. Another 2 or 3 pint sized Captian and Cokes while waiting and during dinner. At the boat show of course they sold beer. I had a few of those (pint sized again). On the way out, the local DEP had a little stand if you will set up in the lobby. They were trying to show the effects of alcohol while driving, etc.

They had these glasses that you put on that were supposed to induce the effects of different levels of intoxication. Basically, they just made your vision blurry.

So, the idea was to put on the glasses and try to walk the line they had taped to the floor in the lobby of the civic center. I told my friends to stop because I wanted to try it (being that I was already quite intoxicated, or so you would think by the amount of alcohol I had consumed in the amount of time that I had consumed it. Believe me, I had a pretty good buzz on.

So, I tried on the glasses and tried to walk the line. I was like "no way is this anything like being drunk" to the DEP officer...

He said "what do you mean?"

I said "I've had like 8 pretty good sized drinks in the last two hours and I don't feel anything like I do with those glasses on"

So I asked him to give me a sobriety test sans glasses.

Well let me tell you, I walked that line perfectly, did turns, stood on one leg, the alphabet, etc. He even gave me the pen test. (For those of you who don't know the pen test, it's where they hold a pen in front of you and make you follow it back and forth with your eyes without turning your head. Sounds easy until you try it drunk.)

Well, he couldn't get me. He said if he saw me on the water and gave me a test he would have to let me go.

At this point there was an audience of about 45 people watching in amazement. He asked me to stay so he could try more tests on me or maybe have someone else try, which one other guy had already done with the pen thing.

I told him "no thank you, we have to go, see you on the water!" With that, we left. Again, I was not driving, my friend was who was not drinking.

Just thought I would share that story because I still find it amusing to this day.

Now about that other guy, they let his friend idle the boat in? Does that mean he didn't get arrested? Did they just let him go or what?

Last edited by BajaBoss252; 07-15-2002 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Registered

Gary864 and blackhawk,

I have to eat some crow, you guys are right, I did some checking and the boating does not show up on your driving record. It never passed, and I thought it did. Learn something new everyday!

Old 07-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Gumbydammit

Hey Ted, you were not being drien by a rather large guy that night were you?? Like in YOUR Tahoe?? Parked in the cripple section??

I think I was driving, but the night was ajust a blur..........

Old 07-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm sorry to be this way but he deserves whatever he gets.
Why if there was someone on the boat that was sober did they not drive from the outset? If I'm in someone elses boat and they are that inebriated(sp?) I would offer to drive and if they didn't agree then I would find another way to get to where I was going.
The sober person that was with him should be charged with something also.
I am glad that no one was hurt.

Caleb
Old 07-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Registered

All I know is I wasn't driving. Other than that I plead the 5th...
Old 07-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vern Thanks but I only posted this because It makes my job easier if people understand that the will not lose their license if the get a boating while intoxicated. I have calmed down many a person by letting them know they will not lose their right to the road from the boating ticket. However if you get a few OUIL on the water you cannot captin a boat either. I have had a judge ask the boater (who lost his road priv due to drinking) how he got to the boat (without a Driver License). The person answered I drove my car, The judge wasn't amused! end of story
Old 07-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Registered

Gary864,

No problem, lord knows I'm far from perfect, and I can use all the help I can get!! I appreciate you setting me straight, might have saved me some embarrassment down the road!!
Old 07-16-2002, 07:29 AM
jr

I think the news media needs to do a little fact checking. Because they are how I heard about it going on your license. HMMM, inaccurate news reports, naw never happen. I looked on a couple other sites, and they mention the penalties, but not the license. Thanks WDIV. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Registered

jr,

That would be the same WDIV that did the complete hatchet job on Gull Island and jobbienooner, correct? I sent them a nasty email about their "story" but never got a response - wonder why?

Like 90% of the media, if they can't find a story, they'll just make one up... idiots.