Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Maritime Law - is this true? >

Maritime Law - is this true?

Notices

Maritime Law - is this true?

Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 4,289 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Ive heard of local stories about getting towed where the tow company would ask the people on board if they would like to get off the boat and get a ride to the harbor.. as soon as they step off the boat the company then claims salvage and tows it to their facility. then gives them a $8K bill.

NEVER get off your boat !!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd maybe make a call to the coast guard, marine police and local police and let them know what your neighbor's new business plan includes. Maybe they can have a little chat with him, as they'll see the potential chaos that they will not want to deal with.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 574 Likes on 237 Posts

This book here is an interesting read about a monumental salvage case of a fuel cell for the space shuttle.

http://www.amazon.com/Peril-Decision.../dp/1592285945
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
A few years ago there was a yacht that was grounded in a marine sanctuary on the gulf side of Key West during a hurricane . The owner had to keep a crew on for about two years before it could be removed. I was told that it could be salvaged if he did not keep the crew on board. What made it worse was that it had to float out on it's own because it was in a marine sanctuary. Who ever said that pirates dont exist today.
158 ft, 16mm dollar sail boat:
http://terryorisms.com/2007/05/09/me...till-marooned/
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bonesmalon
My brother has a 26 Sundancer in Conn that he wasn't able to get hauled in time to beat the storm so he added lines and fenders and hoped for the best. I called him next day and he'd already been to the boat with waders on, chainsaw on shoulder and 870 pump gun in hand. Apparently when these storms rip the boats loose guys take advantage and start stripping the boats. He was expecting to have to cut his way into get to his boat and shoot his way out if necessary. No need...docks and lines held.
that must have been a really nice 26 Searay.....

With all the carnage up there you think the thieves would target the 55 Searay with all the electronics/flatscreen tv's etc. Heck in Maryland they are stealing drives off boats in good times but I noticed they haven't resorted to stealing Bravo 3's off Searays yet.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Ive heard of local stories about getting towed where the tow company would ask the people on board if they would like to get off the boat and get a ride to the harbor.. as soon as they step off the boat the company then claims salvage and tows it to their facility. then gives them a $8K bill.

NEVER get off your boat !!
Yeah but sometimes the people in need of a tow get to drive the TowBoat!
Boynton Beach TowboatUS Capt. Timothy R. Pooler was charged with drunken boating after rescuing two boaters and towing their boat around in circles for several hours.

Last week, Pooler was dispatched to rescue two men in a disabled boat 25 miles off Delray Beach, Fla., according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel.

But according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Pooler, 63, arrived drunk four hours after being dispatched and for several hours towed the disabled boat in circles.

Eventually he asked the men, Lionel Casey and Lewis Dames of Fort Lauderdale, to drive his towboat, which then ran out of fuel. Casey and Dames took fuel from their boat, which regained power after the engine had cooled sufficiently.

About 12 hours after their initial breakdown a second towboat delivered the men to shore — in Jupiter, 30 miles north of their departure point.

Click here for the full article.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Yeah but sometimes the people in need of a tow get to drive the TowBoat!
Boynton Beach TowboatUS Capt. Timothy R. Pooler was charged with drunken boating after rescuing two boaters and towing their boat around in circles for several hours.

Last week, Pooler was dispatched to rescue two men in a disabled boat 25 miles off Delray Beach, Fla., according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel.

But according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Pooler, 63, arrived drunk four hours after being dispatched and for several hours towed the disabled boat in circles.

Eventually he asked the men, Lionel Casey and Lewis Dames of Fort Lauderdale, to drive his towboat, which then ran out of fuel. Casey and Dames took fuel from their boat, which regained power after the engine had cooled sufficiently.

About 12 hours after their initial breakdown a second towboat delivered the men to shore — in Jupiter, 30 miles north of their departure point.

Click here for the full article.
How awesome would it be if the guys calling for assistance claimed salvage rights on the tow boat!!!
Was this "capt" the same retard that dragged commandersanders boat off the beach & sunk it? I remember somebody sayin that capt was a wineo too!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't buy some of these stories. From what I have read an abandoned vessel is:

"One which was left by its crew without intention to return and without hope of recovery."

Hopping on a towboat for a few minutes would not meet the definition of abandoned.

For the original post, I would think that if it went to court a judge would also see a boat that was loose 3 days after a major storm as not abandoned, but I could be wrong. And it wouldn't stop people from trying and costing you money in legal fees.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
So, if I understand what is being said in regards to salvage. A boat breaks loose and drifts across the bay and is beached, the boat was worth $100 before it drifted away. I lay claim and salvage it, the boat is damaged though. I now turn around and sell the vessel for $50. I get to keep say $12.50 of the $50 I sold it for and the vessel owner gets $37.50 - is that how it works or am I not following what happens? I have no idea about things like this so it is interesting, personally I would look forward to seeing these guys getting arrested for trying this!
In Missouri we secure the boat, find the owner and get the boat back to them. Cost of service is a cocktail.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I wonder if liability to perform changes with a "pro" vs. Just a standard schmuck renting a lobster boat......

There are laws (especially here in fl) against non fl licensed contractors performing repairs on homes.....

I am a licensed captain with a towing endorsement....but I do not work in a tow for revenue capacity. I got the endorsement only to be a better captain. However, the local sea tow office called me when the horizon caught fire and subsequently leaked oil into the gulf because all of their captains jumped on the bp cleanup gravy train and left them without qualified trained and experienced tow captains. The first thing they asked me was if I had my endorsement.

So....if the pros have minimum guidelines, why wouldn't "joes"?

I own a flatbed rollback international tow truck.....but dot would hang me out to dry if I didn't have a license to tow with adequate on hook liability insurance....even with " not for hire" on the side.

It is seeming more and more like Admirality laws dispute every other right that guaranteed to us by the constitution and all subsequent amendments.

To me, it seems like it is there specifically to ALLOW piracy. Pros and joes get to operate under the protection that these phucked up and outdated laws provide.....and the pros are quick to point this out.

If you know about me, look at this s h I t . .I will post the response from the other side.....phuckerz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.