Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cummins 6BTA 5.9 Performance Build >

Cummins 6BTA 5.9 Performance Build

Notices

Cummins 6BTA 5.9 Performance Build

Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, I'm going to get on my soap box a little here so be prepared, I mean no harm - LOL

Stock Cummins 300 B's left a slight trail behind the boat right from the factory. Get behind any sportfishermen with them running hard on a hazy day and you'll see a smoke trail.

Did crossbow not say he was building a killer pair of engines, I assume that means they have more than chrome valve covers on them? If so, he is going to be adding more fuel, the 300 B's stock fuel pumps never had aneroids, waste gates or anything to curtail smoke - hop them up and they smoke more. Can you add enough cool air to make it acceptable, yes you can with a lot of work. Adding a bigger turbo will do almost nothing on a 2 valve head.

You mention the "tuning" word, explain how you tune an engine with no timing advance mechanisms - you either tune for top end or bottom end but can't have both unless you build variability into the turbo charger. If you were to do anything like that, buy newer engines instead and you'll be ahead on $'s at the end of the day.

Remember this is a boat not a Dodge truck on a dyno where you accelerate and then add load or have a higher stall speed so the rpm's come up before load is applied on a drag strip - the boat goes in gear, prop is fully submerged and you have load, until the boat gets on plane you have lots of load.

I wish him all the luck, just saying a 2 valve head is a lot of work, you can make 425 hp out of one and 375hp-400hp steady and it will run pretty clean after that you kid yourself.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a little bit about this subject. I have built and run several 1000+ hp 2 valve head trucks. With that being said I will be using common rail when the diesel motor goes into my boat.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What's wrong with a "tractor pull" style black cloud coming out of the back of the boat when getting on it?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Vgt turbos, injector size, timing yes I know it's set but if set at the right compromise it can reduce smoke, increase power reduce egts etc. tuning in the afc for the proper fueling to the increased boost, delivery valve size, injector line size. I could go on. Common rail technology is great and has many many benefits, less than half realized in a boat. How many operating ranges and scenarios does a truck have? Loaded, unloaded, climbing a grade, etc. how many in a boat? Pretty much full load any time you push the sticks.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want 24v pistons? Personally i think the way to go would be marine pistons and road isectors.reason being, using the larger dish piston while maintaining the narrow spray pattern of the road injector allows you to run a lot of timing (22-25*) while keeping the smoke to a minimum.I built a 12v last spring for my truck and it turned out great.only issue timing creates lots of cylinder pressure. I wanted to build a pair for my cig but everyone basically told me it would never work. Perfect application think.unlimited cool water to run air to water intercoolers.only thing i woundnt do is run a watercooled manifold/turbo.air condenses as it cools so you'd be throwing away power.definitely want to hear more about this setup.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rbesola
I wanted to build a pair for my cig but everyone basically told me it would never work
Everyone that told you this doesn't know anything about diesels in boats - I don't care who they are, they don't know squat if they are talking about making the boat run. If they are talking size, cost, difficulty to install they are right, it's a bear to retrofit.

We did it in a 40' SH (basically your Top Gun hull) over 20 years ago, with 380hp Cummins she went almsot 70 mph light, with ballast to simulated a "patrol boat" with machine guns, ammo, a crew w/gear & bimini topw/enclosure you were over 60mph.

A Top Gun would work just fine with today's newer engines.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Everyone that told you this doesn't know anything about diesels in boats - I don't care who they are, they don't know squat if they are talking about making the boat run. If they are talking size, cost, difficulty to install they are right, it's a bear to retrofit.

We did it in a 40' SH (basically your Top Gun hull) over 20 years ago, with 380hp Cummins she went almsot 70 mph light, with ballast to simulated a "patrol boat" with machine guns, ammo, a crew w/gear & bimini topw/enclosure you were over 60mph.

A Top Gun would work just fine with today's newer engines.
I know it would work. But it just seemed to be the consensus that it wouldn't and it was a bad idea. I still think its the answer to reliability and economy.at the cost of losing the sound of a big block which is being regulated more and more anyway.im all for it and want to see some builds
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rbesola
I know it would work. But it just seemed to be the consensus that it wouldn't and it was a bad idea. I still think its the answer to reliability and economy.at the cost of losing the sound of a big block which is being regulated more and more anyway.im all for it and want to see some builds
I hear you but stop listening to everybody and follow what you know to be true!

"but the first guy through the wall. It always gets bloody, always."
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2 cents > all I know about diesel and boats is it smokes and it stinks. If I wanted to know .... Joe is the 1st guy I'd call. I've read hies stuff for a few years now, he' been there done that. A boat is a different world for engines, Gas or Diesel.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

LOL - I have to admit most diesels smell except I just got a new Ford and I have to tell you, I don't what it smells like but it ain't diesel!

Thank you for the vote of confidence also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.