Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do screen shots so mods can take steps to stop em.."
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by commandersander
I do screen shots so mods can take steps to stop em.."
Why would mods stop them or actually have any control over that stuff? Most of these sites are just portals to google adds or ??? anymore anyways. I would think it is at the users end to try and control it if he or she sees fit

Not trying to flame the mods in any way here. I understand the adds are just a necessary evil on pretty much any big site. I dont really even notice most of them anymore, odd out of place sidebar adds and such. Just kinda tune it out
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Never had them. Now I do. Some one needs to fix this.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Registered

I've reported it for removal.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

those types of adds or "floaters" usually aren't from this site, they are cookies or Trojans that you get from other sites that spam, run spybot once a week or use mozilla with ad block. it wont happen again.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Really. I only get that here. New to Me. Just got it again. Artie
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

I did clean My cookies
Old 11-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everything, knowledge of tools and how to use them is essential to best performing practices. I see stuff like what you guys have posted all the time. Unfortunately most people are not familiar with how computers, browsers, and networks really work.

You guys might want to take a look at using a filtering server to better protect your computers. I run Linux so I am not as susceptible to virus's and such as you guys that run winblows or mac are, though no operating system is invulnerable to attack. An IDS (intrusions detection system) is necessary for best protection no matter what operating system is being used.

I use chrome a lot or one of the numerous other minimal browsers, one of my favorites is xxxterm now xombrero, it is a very light and capable browser, though for those that are more comfortable with using the keyboard for control rather than just the mouse. Firefox has become terribly bloated, therefore not as secure or fast as it used to be. I do not use Firefox any longer.

Untangle is an opensource (free - with commercial add-on's) Linux based IDS (intrusion detection system). Your can either download the image and install on your own hardware or purchase a full blown appliance. For a home network it does not need fast hardware, an old computer will suffice, you can build a new box utilizing a mini itx board for about $200, which is what I have done for my home use. Untangles website goes into great detail about the system as it is a very popular commercial tool.

https://www.untangle.com/

I have included a few screenshots of today's report. I spent very little time online today, so there is not much, but it gives you an idea of what it does stop. The main things to stop is virus's, spyware, intrusion, and of course you want the firewall. Though it does a lot more than that, you can select what features/filters you want running, the basic ones are free, which is all you will need for home use.

It is no longer a matter of not clicking on a link, or opening an email attachment. Just going to a website can load malicious software through or into your browser. If they get into your browser, they know everything you do online.

I have over 30 years of computer experience, in numerous industries including banking. My opinion is that if you are online, without running something like Untangle to filter the bad stuff out, you are out of your mind.

For those of you that travel and use public wireless, obviously it is cumbersome or impossible to carry an additional box for added protection. Though your greatest worry is the public network your are connecting through, check the FBI website, hotels and cafes and such are now one of the biggest security risks.

For protection using public wireless networks use an encrypted socks tunnel. What that means is connect to a remote server using ssh with 2048 or 4096 bit RSA encryption. They will only see the ip address of the server you are connecting to, and cannot break the encryption, so far nobody has broken encryption anywhere near that strength. They will not see what websites you go to as they will only see your connection to your remote sever.

The remote server can be any where, at your home or office then piped through your untangle sever, or use a virtual server. I use Amazon AWS, costs me about $5 a month with some upfront, think it is about $16 with no upfront. Well worth it if you travel.

You do NOT want to do banking or any other sensitive stuff on a public wireless network. The FBI has issued many warnings about hotel wireless. Most use the weakest encryption, even the strongest wireless 256 bit, is easy to break. All anyone has to do is either have a sniffer setup within that network, or run kismet which is a packet capturing application that can capture all wireless activity and save it, then just decrypt and read everything. That can be done from a block away. Do a Google search for wardriving. That will give you a bit of an idea of what tools are being used and how criminals are easily getting peoples sensitive information. It also applies to your home wireless as well. I run Kismet for my home wireless intrusion detection system.

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

Here is a simple example of how to setup an encyrpted socks tunnel, scroll down to that section. It can be done using any operating system, even windblows. Best thing you could do is move to one of the hundreds of flavors of Linux, or mac, both are far more secure than windblows. Though mac has become increasingly insecure overtime. Linux is most probably the most secure of the three most common operating systems at this time.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ssh
Attached Thumbnails New wtf for mods-reports.png   New wtf for mods-blocked-urls.png   New wtf for mods-blockedcookies.png  

New wtf for mods-incidents.png   New wtf for mods-suspicious.png  

Last edited by SinOjos; 11-22-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Good stuff, thanks
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )