Notices

Boating in New Jersey?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boating in New Jersey?

We live and boat in Louisiana and are only 15 minutes from the water we boat in (tickfaw river). It's nice because it has many options for places to go. Not just up and down the river. Basically I love it!

Now for the question. We went to visit my family in the hopewell/Titusville NJ area over the thanksgiving holidays and my wife fell in love with the area. She's from Louisiana but has the bug to move up there in the next couple years. We are outdoor activity people so we would still enjoy the outdoors just in a different capacity. Boating in Louisiana is good because its almost all year long and we are close to Florida for more options. Growing up in NJ I didn't do any boating so not sure how it is up there. We fish offshore and inshore a lot so that would be an all new game as well. Specs and reds in exchange for small stocked trout. Offshore in Louisiana is some of the best in the world. Not sure in blues and striper fishing would compare.

My family lives on the Delaware river, but in the Titusville area it is very shallow and don't recall seeing any power boats.

Looking for overall opinions of the boating scene up there. Would my only option be towing to the Atlantic and go up and down the coast? If so what boat is needed? I have a 280 velocity.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't see any power boating above the dam in Trenton. The river is just too shallow and filled with rocks. That's why there is such a big rafting operation up there. There are several marinas just south of Trenton and from there you can run your Velocity down the river as far as you care to. Just watch out for the crocodiles!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Registered

Are there any poker runs? That run from Trenton to Philly or other places. How long is the season?

Crocodiles?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

There is a boat ramp about one south of dam at Trenton (about a 1/2 down the road from the Tenton Marine Center - a performance boat dealer http://www.trentonmarine.com/ ) on the Jersey side. Nice ride to Philly for lunch in the river or make it longer ride hit the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal head the you can stop at the Chesapeake Inn, which is always packed with boaters.

You can trailer to the Barnegat Bay area in hour or less, some of the Barnegat Bay area boaters on OSO can help you with ramps there, or you could make it a really long boat ride from Trento to Cape May....lots of options.

Season you ask? For some mid-May through September, it depends on the weather, and each boater is unique when it comes to what is warm, cold, too windy, too cloudy...
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crocodiles are logs floating in the river that will take out your drive if you hit them. They are always worse after heavy rainstorms.

There are no real poker runs up the river but like Smarty said a quick run through the CD Canal leads you to the Cheasapeake Bay and lots of options exist there.

The taxes here are going to a shocker for you as compared to LA. Good luck with that!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the information. It seems as though we would have good boating, but the season is much shorter. It was nice to visit as it was my first time since 98'. I guess we will see if my wife loses interest after we visit in the dead of winter when it's freezing out.

Thanks again.