Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   how much is a 454 worth? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28844-how-much-454-worth.html)

puder 07-16-2002 12:39 PM

cord,

its a drag race guys thats interested in it. I figure it woudlbe worth more to them. That is basic stuff for boating but HUGE cubes for 1/4 milers.

Jayl13 07-16-2002 12:50 PM

Mine to get redone cost me each engine the following
2200 each engine
PLUS
Price of cam and lifters,
Price of intake manifold
Price of new manifolds and risers
Price of welding in custom dry pipes into my new stainless risers
Price of timing chain covers
Price of new valve covers

Engine builder got me the heads and I left my old peanut round toilet heads with him (did not even care to take them home)
He paid and installed the new valves, guides, seals, springs, retainers, bearings, double roller timing chains and gears, new pistons, rings, all machine work and both reassembled and cleaned (glass beaded all old parts like thermostat housings, balancer, pulleys ect ect ect)

(guess you went to engine section and saw my hooker barbie pink engines yes????)
Rough pricing on the items listed above are
Intakes = 150 +shipping each (yes polished)
Chrome junk =100+shipping
Exhaust = 630+shipping
Exhaust pipes chrome and inner dry pipes = 140 +tax
Misc stuff like 8 riser gaskets and all new bolts and stuff like that you never figure on but you end up buying it
Bought 2 new oil coolers/PS coolers also from BAM
It adds up quick but with just under 1000 HP ill be able to sell it for a half way decent amount cause I have never ever seen a 280 Baja any year with this much HP and attention to detail as mine (especially after I paint it this fall or next spring)
all in all, I probalby have about total each engine 4500 -5000
but over time you can deal with it, if you do it all at once you get wacked hard
I bought the intakes and other misc stuff over the winter time and spread the cost out so it was not that much of an anal slam all at once
You know the drill
Jason
PS pulling engine out with fork lift was a breeze, cherry picker might be real tough!!!

HiPerf2000 07-16-2002 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Chris232
just wasn't sure the cast crank could handle 5,000 rpm's.

The cast crank will handle 450hp without a problem. I ran one on a stock 330 and 174 B&M.....475hp @ 5200 rpms for almost 3 seasons.

pachangalpina 07-16-2002 03:03 PM

I recently sold my '89 330 long block with 270 hours to a local marina for $1500. I included the iron intake and exhaust manifolds that needed to be surfaced. Also included the flywheel valve covers and oil pan.

Most MKIV 330 engines were 2 bolt main (good to 600hp with cast crank in drag cars). I beleive that all Gen5 & 6 engines came with 4 bolt main and some came with cast cranks as well (Gen5 was introduced in '92 in think)

Todd

Jayl13 07-16-2002 03:06 PM

I dont know about what year what mains came on what but
Mine is 1990 twin 330's peanut heads and 4 bolt mains
cast crank, cast pistons
(replaced now but stock setup)
Gen IV block
Jason