Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
advice on boat 35-45 boat purchase ? >

advice on boat 35-45 boat purchase ?

Notices

advice on boat 35-45 boat purchase ?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on boat 35-45 boat purchase ?

I am looking for some sound advice on purchasing a boat.
I have been researching for a couple years, watching the market and trying to get ride time in also. I have researched the history and tried to absorb as much as possible to narrow my search.
I have narrowed down to Active Thunder, Sonic, Black Thunder, Fountain, Scarab, and Cigarette. I would like to try to stay in the 38-45 foot range. This seems to fill the bill for me. But some of the Sonics have impressed me.
What I have found is the Cigarette being old models from 86-93. The Fountains and Scarabs from 87-98. Sonic, Active Thunder and Black Thunder 93-98. I did find a 38 hustler slingshot but it is going to be a stretch to buy. Most are around 38-40 foot. A couple in the 42-45, mostly Scarab and Fountain.
What I have found is; Active Thunder, Black Thunder, and Sonic seems to be the better buy. I could be wrong, but this why I am here. I will be cruising mostly, a couple pokers runs, and nothing too crazy. I live in Kentucky, but might head to Florida for pokers runs. Maybe to relocate also.
I do apologize for being long winded, I am just trying to be thorough. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by rtc74; 12-07-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Fountain or formula would be my call. Formula more creature comforts. Fountain more speed. Both great boats. I know you didn't list formula was just throwing it out there. I would also add cig even though they are generally pricy in comparison but nice boats.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Registered

I looked at some formulas, but did not strike me. The formulas I have found seemed pricey compared to other boats makers that are larger and more to offer. But this is a ever changing market so who knows what will come up for sale tomorrow. I love a hustler but only found one 38 close to my price range and I am reaching, lol.

Last edited by rtc74; 12-07-2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rtc74
I looked at some formulas, but did not strike me. They seemed pricey compared to other boats that are larger and more to offer. But this is a ever changing market so who knows what will come up for sale tomorrow. I love a hustler but only found one 38 close to my price range and I am reaching, lol.
I've got a 2003 hustler KE LIMITED (one piece hull) Talon 377 with KE 900 HP motors, bam transmissions, merc 6 dry sump outdrives. Will let it go for $124,000, maybe less... 174 hrs on boat and drive train. PM me for pics and videos if interested.

Last edited by TahoeRick; 12-07-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Add more
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 AM
Registered

I did find that scarab and fountain did not make their own hulls after 93 ? If so, who made their hulls for them ? are these hulls good still ? I also was reading active thunder, black thunder and sonic were well made, and with high quality components ?
I am new to the boat world and do not have as much knowledge like the people on here. I am finding there are smaller boat makers that make nice if not nicer boats then fountain, scarab, and cigarette. If so, it would only make sense to buy the smaller production higher quality boat over a name brand boat with lower quality. I am just trying to get help and knowledge to make a wise solid investment in a nice boat.
As with any industry good people move around and start new companies or go to work for another business. So I am open to suggestions and to gain more knowledge in the performance boat industry.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Registered

All of fountain hulls were made in fountain plant by Reggie and company until he went bankrupt. They are not in production right now but no reason to be a deterrent unless you wanted new with a factory warranty. Your talking mid nineties so no warranty there anyhow. Wellcraft sold to genmar at some point. Not sure of details. They discontinued the scarab as a go fast and made it just a center console fisher. Both are very good hulls that produce speed. Both have held world record speed numbers at some point in the 80s and 90s. Solid boats.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

I researched like you, 12 years ago, decided on Sonic for cabin size and ride (call me old school but I love the arch too)Top speed
was not my main concern, getting wherever I am going quickly and safely and having a nice place to crash at days end were (are) my concerns. Spent up to 5 days on it. Still have the boat and still very happy with it.
People who own larger boats have ridden on it and been very impressed with ride quality.
I've ridden on other boats and can't believe the difference in ride. When it gets rough you will be able to keep up with larger faster boats. IMO they are also undervalued compared to other brands, you get a lot of boat for the money. Food for thought not chest thumping or flaming anyone else's brand.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Registered

Cool, thanks ICU. I have found a couple fountains; two 47's and a 42 for stellar deals. I also found a 43 scarab for steal also. I know cigs are nice and found a couple late 80's 38s and 42s but more in cost. Hustlers are wicked but Hustlers are usually out of my price range.
I was leaning on the 47 fountains and the 42. Before I shell out that amount I wanted to make sure these were the good years (I assumed but not good to assume) and not the declining years were quality goes downhill. Also, I did not want to rule out any other boats like Sonic, Active Thunder, or Black Thunder since I have come across a few that seem like a good deal.
ICU, I will keep my eyes peeled for a Formula also. Thanks again for the help
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
I researched like you, 12 years ago, decided on Sonic for cabin size and ride (call me old school but I love the arch too)Top speed
was not my main concern, getting wherever I am going quickly and safely and having a nice place to crash at days end were (are) my concerns. Spent up to 5 days on it. Still have the boat and still very happy with it.
People who own larger boats have ridden on it and been very impressed with ride quality.
I've ridden on other boats and can't believe the difference in ride. When it gets rough you will be able to keep up with larger faster boats. IMO they are also undervalued compared to other brands, you get a lot of boat for the money. Food for thought not chest thumping or flaming anyone else's brand.
That is what I have been finding on the Sonics. A really big bang for the buck. I tend to really research more then the average bear. I have found some Sonic 38-42's and I am really impressed, especially for the price. Thanks for the help.
I am on the same page with you about concerns. So I decided to ask the people here for help and input. Especially before paying for the boat. Thanks sonic it most definitely helps me.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Registered

Rtc make sure you get on every model you are considering. Walk around it, get in te cabin. Fountain had a straight hull then a single step then a double all good boats. However fountain isn't the roomiest boat out there. They are quality and built for high speed. Many others give more room and creature comforts. Researching on the net is good for market prices but make sure you find some close to et on board and ride in. Get a feel for. Even though all brands listed are high performance and will go fast they all do different things well. You'll find some who will say "so and so" is best boat hands down. In reality we all have different boating needs and things we want on our boats.

Of all the brands you mentioned scarab, fountain and sonic I have heard nothing negative about consistently. The others at, bt and hustler I've heard of but no nothing about.

Others will chime in with more info but most will agree to go actually et on some that will narrow your list down, then sea trial and you will narrow your list even more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.