Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter >

Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter

Notices

Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter

Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter

I know there have been a couple of threads on using a tablet as a chartplotter, but i wanted to get more specific. I have not gone this direction because of the lack of brightness of most tablets, but now with the Asus Tranformer Prime at 600 nits brightness i wanted to bring the subject back up.

Who out there is using this tablet as their primary chartplotter and how has your experience been?

What chartplotter software are you using?

How did you mount it on your boat?

Did you use an anti-glare film? If so which one?

How is your GPS lock on?

Are there things that you give up over using a marine GPS such as a Garmin?

Looking forward to some good discussion...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use our ipad3 with the navionics (apple app) program all the time.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered

Hey all, I figured i would keep everyone up to date on my quest for a tablet chartplotter. The transformer prime that i bought used from cowboom for $209 seems to be working out pretty good. I bought the Navionics chartplotter app for $35, a ram mount for $60 which is VERY secure.

I have tried the prime outside with 'Super IPS' mode on and it is definitely readable in full sun.

Navionics app is just OK. Would like to see more features, but the charts are VERY NICE and detailed for LOTO including depth markings.

The only thing i have found to be issue so far is the transformer prime GPS is not very sensitive. This is a known issue for this model, i think they fixed it with the Infinity model. I am awaiting a free 'dongle' fix from Asus in the mail. This 'dongle' is a hardware add-on that Asus is providing for free to correct the issue with the GPS on the unit.

I know the prime isnt a 'marine rugged' device, but even if i go through one every 2 years, i will be money ahead considering that a 10" touchscreen chartplotter runs in the $3k range. The other cool thing is i have a tablet on the boat to play with. Set up the iphone to be a hotspot and i can stream netflix.

Really looking forward to trying this out on my boat. Would be interested in others experiences with a similar setup.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Hi all, just updating this thread in case anyone cares.

I am very happy to say that my 10" transformer prime tablet with SUPER IPS+ technology is sunlight readable enough to be a chartplotter. The only problem is you must either have an external bluetooth GPS or use the 'dongle' that Asus provided for it . You may also be able to just buy a transformer infinity where they fixed the problem.

I love the navionics software and the touchscreen functionality. So easy to use. The Ram mount has been rock solid to date. Have had the boat out 3 times in some fairly rough wakes and it just hangs in there.

Glad i saved $3k and went this direction instead of a 'marine chartplotter'. I know a marine chartplotter is not good enough for traveling the ocean, but for lake boating which is all i do, this solution is perfect.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I'm toying right now as to which 10" tablet to get. I will run my whole entertainment through it, chart plotter. GPS and internet through it. Looking at the Nexus or Samsung and also getting a Galaxy4 when the reviews come out.
I know nothing about tablets and need to get educated.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Pantech element is water proof 8". I am going the tablet route this year, and that is most likely the one. I only need it at night, so glare is not an issue.

IMO these solve a few problems. Makes a tv at night, and something to occupy the kid.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Registered

Yes if you only need it for night, you can get whatever tablet you want.

If you need daylight readable you really need to look closely at the screen technology. I tried my iPad 3 and you could not realy see it at all during the day.

FYI i also put a anti-glare film on my transformer to help with glare. It is still bright enough to read during the day.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.
Yes if you only need it for night, you can get whatever tablet you want.

If you need daylight readable you really need to look closely at the screen technology. I tried my iPad 3 and you could not realy see it at all during the day.

FYI i also put a anti-glare film on my transformer to help with glare. It is still bright enough to read during the day.
Nice info in here! I have the TF700... do you have a link to the actual mount you're using? Thanks again for the info... very informative!

- justin
Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Registered

Here is where i bought my Ram mount. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V4N3NW/...0_M3T1_SC_dp_1.This was the cheapest i could find it at the time. I debated on getting the dual suction cup one, but that doesnt appear to be necessary for my application. I do have the suction cup attached to a horizontal portion of my dash and not hanging off of the windshield.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Registered

Like this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.