Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kook flipped boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28866-kook-flipped-boat.html)

Wild Horses 07-18-2002 08:24 AM

Kook

My family’s best wishes and prayers go out to you and your friend. Get well soon.

Trevor

Indy 07-18-2002 08:55 AM

Originally posted by MIdnightRider
It was an accident, 75mph isn't anything that would be considered dangerous in todays speed driven boating market.
I must respectfully disagree...75mph is fast. Things happen very quick at that speed. We all get caught up in this speed thing and try to eek every last mph out of our rigs, but I think most of us spend our time at cruising speeds and when we hang it out on the ragged edge, we don't have the experience that racers do and can get in trouble if we're not careful. I'm sure some of you will take exception to that, but I'm speaking about the general HP boating population, not those with tons of high speed seat time. I know that the whopper HP boats (Cigs, Outerlimits, skater, etc.) go much faster, but it is still fast on the WATER. My boat doesn't do 75, but when I'm running WOT, you need to be paying careful attention or you can get hurt. I think Kook's experience shows that.

28Eliminator 07-18-2002 09:16 AM

Kook,
Sorry to hear about your accident man. When it rains it poors.
I've been reading about your boating problems lately,but this is something I didn't expect to read about.
I will pray for the speedy recovery of your friend and hope you start to feel better also. Good luck!

MIdnightRider 07-18-2002 10:21 AM

Audacity- For a racing guy, 75 must seem like neutral. I know on my old Baja at 75 we were eatin' donuts and drinkin coffee wondering why we paid for marina service when we should have bought a blower. But we better just leave the real judgments and discussions to experts like yourself. Kook- I, though I'm no expert, think it's all good man, your buddy will bounce back. Midnight:cool:

audacity 07-18-2002 10:56 AM

my perspective is very much the same as a video game when it come to speed for me....the same as it is when i ice,rock, and mountain climb...but i do RESPECT speed, the water, the pavement, the mountains, the 1000' frozen water falls i climb....and i know what they can do....some say i just manage choas....75 is 75!...respect it...

my perspective is very much the same as a video game when it come to speed for me....the same as it is when i ice,rock, and mountain climb...but i do RESPECT speed, the water, the pavement, the mountains, the 1000' frozen water falls i climb....and i know what they can do....some say i just manage choas....75 is 75!...respect it...

jr 07-18-2002 11:01 AM

I think its getting time to start popping the pop corn.:D

But seriously, 75 in any boat should not be taken lightly, regardless of size, HP, conditions, or experience. It's obvious that Kook did take the speed seriously or he and his partner would not have been wearing jackets. In the time it took to read this sentence... you just traveled a football field. Its easy to get used to running at a speed, but that doesn't speed up your reaction time or how fast something can happen.

Be careful and know your limits. Its not just about the boats limits.

MIdnightRider 07-18-2002 11:13 AM

Jr- Great statement, "Know your limits". Midnight:cool: (that may have me back on a js300 jet-ski though:D )

Reckless32 07-18-2002 12:26 PM

Ditto on the your friends recovery...

Not knowing the area and where exactly you were running, but is there any possibility you may have hooked a stump or log vice a rogue wave? I'd say for learning sake if the "rogue" was small enough not to be really seen or anticipated that the trim had to be way up to lift the bow like that. I reading all this and figuring, ok, what could've prevented this from happening?...

Otherwise a sad ending to a long boat story this year. I hope you don't give up and quit...