Notices

Kook flipped boat?

Old 07-16-2002, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorrry to hear about this.........

Nort

PS: Puder....where were all the typos in your message? I actualy understood what you typed!
Old 07-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Registered

So sorry, I wish for a full recovery to both of you.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Thanks for the info, Puder. I'm glad to hear kook's OK and sorry to haer about his freind getting hurt. I know he must be feeling terrible about the accident. Right now, kook needs our support, not Monday morning quaterbacking. I know if it happened to me, no matter how it happened, I would feel responsible. Pray for a speedy complete recovery for his buddy.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:17 PM
kook

Angry Get the story from the person who was there

Ike my dear friend - from whom did you get such information? I will state the facts, and you can choose to believe what you wish.

1) There were 2 of us on the boat at the time.
2) Both of us had vests on.
3) I did not have anything to drink (or any other substance other than some Dayquil I was taking for a cold). I would never do such a thing when operating something like this boat. I have ridden street bikes for quite some time, and have enough common sense to realize that these machines demand your full, alert attention. There wasn't a drop of alcohol in the boat - a jug of lemonade and a few diet Cokes.
4) I did not receive any type of citation as of this time. The coast guard and the marine police were both at the scene and interviewed me when we returned to shore.
5) The boat, as it was, was capable of low 80's. It was not dialed-in, but I do not believe it was making the hp I was lead to believe.
6) I was only out in the water for maybe an hour and a half before the accident took place - to say that I was "driving recklessly all day" just doesn't make sense - in the first place, I wasn't out all day.

At around 3PM I picked up 2 guys on the Flats. Both put on life vests We headed towards Lloyd's Creek. The one guy is used to his much larger Scarab, and was not too keen on the bouncing around that is normal on a 25' boat - there was a decent amount of slop as we approached Turkey Point. We happened to cross paths with one of his buddies. I let him off, and he went back to the flats with his buddy.

My buddy who stayed with me (who's name must remain anonymous for the time being) and I made it to LLoyds, found nobody there we knew, and headed back towards the Flats.

At about the time we were going to cross over the NE River to the flats, the slop seemed to really calm down. We decided to keep going up the river, since the water was more suitable for this size boat.

We were about directly across from Bay Boat Works, doing around 75mph (guessing - I was more focused on what was ahead of me than on my GPS). I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in front of me - clean water, no large boats anywhere nearby. We were both grinning ear to ear, loving the sound of the wind and the motor. Within the time I could blink and eye, we caught some air, I believe the nose touched down first and spun the boat around. I recall feeling as if we were close to vertical (port to starboard)..... I recall getting quite wet. I recall some loud noises........ And we came to a rest, 180 degrees from our direction of travel...... the motor still running (at idle, which I still don't understand )

The o/d was broken in 2 places - where is mounts to the gimbal, and right above the where the lower meets the upper.

Unfortunately, my friend's head took a liking to the dash and steering wheel - there is not much to hold onto in the shotgun seat, and I'm not sure that would have helped anyway.

Yes, I not have a lot of hours (approx 15) on the boat since the re-power. What I can say is that I had been on the water by myself for those hours in both choppy and flat conditions. I felt I was able to handle all the boat had to offer in those conditions. The flat water was the worst; the night before this happened, I had a blast running some other boats. AT WOT, (not just for a piddly 10 seconds) I was able to keep the boat under control. It required constant attention to steering, countering the chine walk. I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to stay on top of the boat.

Is there a Dave F on the board from up in my area? A guy who used to run a blown 24' Formula? I met 2 of your friends that night - running a 26' Velocity with twin o/b's - supposedly a 92 mph boat. We ran each other several times in the flat stuff, then stopped and talked a bit. I'd say he could vouche (to some extent) on how I handled the boat at speed.

What I did not have experience in was handling the boat at speed with significant boat traffic. Obviously, at the speed we were going, it didn't take much at all to get air under the boat - it's light, and I had it trimmed up pretty good. I don't care how good a driver you think you may be, but unless you had 20/5 vision, you wouldn't have been able to see any type of wake that was in our path - if you did, I doubt you would have had time to take the necessary safety measures. Maybe a more experience drive would not have trimmed up as I did, or maybe he would have "felt" how light the boat was in the water and would not push it to quite the limit I had.... I can't answer that because I have the experience that I have, nothing more.

I'd like to think that though I am an aggressive driver (be it boats, bikes, cars) that I know when to fold down. There were quite a few times out in the Bay where I just couldn't keep the speed I wanted to - sometimes this was only at 65mph. You get "feel" for the boat, you know your comfort zone, and you know when to pull that throttle back.

Say what you will, I know there are many rumors going around - someone called and asked me how my buddy was doing without his leg.... WTF?????? Even the fire company, who took my buddy to land, thought that I was ejected from the boat and swam back to it. There will always be rumors - that is a fact of life.

I will not be spending much time on the Board for a while - I will be visiting my friend in the hospital, and I plan to get away from here for a few days. I got very luck, with only bruised ribs. What I will NEVER, EVER forget is seeing my buddy, someone whom I work with, slumped down in front of me, almost lifeless. I feel extremely guilty, though I am being told I should not. Neither his life nor mine will be the same again. I pray for his full recovery - to see him the way he was - to see him back at work and back boating. He has always been a good person to me, never done wrong to me.

If anyone still believes the "boat rolled" story, I've uploaded a few pics of the damage. You can view them here:

dash pic

port rear

starboard rear

IMCO SC (what's left)

Feel free to e-mail. Not sure how often I'll be checking in during the next week.

-Mark

Old 07-16-2002, 05:24 PM
kook

I just had a chance to read the full thread. I appreciate all the support. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way. If I could switch places with my friend, I would. He did not deserve this. And I did not deserve to come out so unscathed. Life goes on, and we WILL get back to "normal".... Someday he and I will be out boating again, both a bit wiser. Speed costs, and speed also kills.

-Mark

Old 07-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kook,

Glad to hear you're OK. I hope your friend makes a quick recovery.

Greg
Old 07-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleanest "rollover" boat I have ever seen.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad it wasn't negligence. Bad luck happens, and the only thing you can do is shake your head and start over.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:36 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Amen.............................. It happens that quick.........when you least expect it.

There's a great lesson here.............please take a minute to re-read the driver's impressions. If this causes one guy to make one better judgement, that averts one injury or fatality............It's a good ending to bad situation.

T2x
Registered

Mark,

I am very sorry to hear about you, and most of all, your friend. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Ty

[email protected]
Coddigtion

kook, I am glad to hear that you are ok. Sorry about your loss, hope to see you back to normal soon.

Quick Reply: Kook flipped boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.