tommy bahama awarded win in savannah

Notices

tommy bahama awarded win in savannah

Old 07-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,714 Likes on 3,786 Posts
Exclamation tommy bahama awarded win in savannah

just read on apba website tommy bahama awarded win in savannah.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It said that both teams got a 60 day probation period.
I wonder what that means.
I doubt that they are suspended because there was only 5
supercats in Savanah and I don't think they only want three at their next race.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:07 AM
supergirl

We do not usually get to watch sunday's race. But Im glad We sacrificed sleep to watch that race. I read the article. This is a question, not an acusation. If Tommy B and Drambuie both raced under caution and Tommy B passed under caution how come they do not get the 3 min. penilty with drambuie and a 1 min penilty for passing?

Old 07-17-2002, 07:55 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

I was there and watched the whole event. Drambui and Tommy B. both past WHM with the caution flag flying. It appeared to be a very dangerous move for both boats. As WHM was slowing for the caution flag, Drambui and Tommy both went for the pass on the inside of WHM in a turn. From the beach it looked like Drambui hit WHM from behind. I heard after the race that Drambui broke WHM'S tabs. All I know is WHM never recovered.

Both should be penalized the same, both went through a caution and an accident WFO.

Jan
Old 07-17-2002, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW!

I understand the rules, but was there some kind of miscommunication, perhaps...for two boats to do the same, I mean.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Lightbulb

Nick
The whole caution thig is a very scary deal when you are out on the course. The caution lap was just announced last year and it leaves you guessing alot. When you have full race mode adrenline pumping it is hard to slow down. It is really bad in the smaller classes when you see a boat that constantly runs in the back of the pack start passing the whole fleet. It's actually funny that some crews think that all of a sudden they found that missing 10MPH in there boat in one lap and start passing every boat on the course. It happens almost every race, common sense could go a long way here.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Ryan,
I can only imagine the scenario, but ya, I'm sure picking up those 'subtle' cues can be confusing when your mind is also racing a zillion miles an hour. So basically, can you still race up to the accident scene and then slow down to pick-up the paced caution lap, or does one immediately have to slow and maintain position? Does this depend on constant radio communication?

Thanks again...I was just wondering why two boats would succumb to the same infraction...In other words, was there a lack of comm? Going hot into a turn(accident scene), cutting the inside to pass a boat already slowed to half your speed speed and subsequently bumping a little...Sorry, lots of questions here. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

There is no radio communication between most teams and the officials. Most of it is done with flags or just paying attention the the situation goin on around you. The hard part is that sometmes you get "tunnel vision" and all you can see is catching the boat infront of you. Unfortuatelly in this day and age it is VERY uncommon that a race goes of with out sometype of caution of accident on the course. It is more like when not if the caution will come out. In general if you come upon a yellow flag on a stationary boat or a turn boat you should slow and use some caution when passing an accident. The tough part is that with all the different sizes of boats slow to one boat can have a whole different meaning than another crews SLOW. When you catch the field behind the pace boat under caution you are SUPPOSED to line up two by two and wait until a specified are to when and where they will wave the green agian. The problem is sometimes that doesn't always happen the way it is supposed to. AGIAN COMMON SENSE AND PAYING ATTENTION WOULD GO A LOOOONG WAY HERE!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses, Ryan!

I'm sure that flag looks awfully small, too, at 100+

Old 07-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

At some point they will install on board Green, yellow and red lights on the dashboard that are remotely controlled from Race Control. The bright yellow light would blink to indicate a caution. This is available now, but costs a few bucks per boat.

I think Nascar uses them.