Notices

Smartcraft help

Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Smartcraft help

Anyone know if this junction box eliminates the need to set one engine starboard and one engine port? It has specified spots for port / starboard. I'd like to use it to hook up my Northstar GPS to use smartcraft. I'd also like the future possibility of changing out the speedo and tachs to smartcraft units instead of the livorsi.

http://www.searay-parts.com/Mercury-...x898289t17.htm
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smartcraft

the junction boxes are called bus bars and yes you need to keep them,make sure your northstar unit is nmea compatible,is it is you need to order a gateway from merc,I believe merc makes three different gateways depending in different applications.The gps will not work unless you have the gateway.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

I have a twin engine gateway for the Northstar but it has one connector on it.

What I'm asking is if I run smartcraft cabling from each engine up to the dash area, plug them into the junction box I posted above, then plug the Northstar into that junction box (probably the top middle plug?) will I still have to set one engine to starboard and one to port using a scan tool or does this particular junction box, because it's specifically labeled port/starboard, convert it on the fly?

I don't have a junction box yet and have not set either engine to port / starboard so I assume they are both set the same from the factory. I can either buy this box for $150 or get a cheaper juction box for $40-ish and try to find someone in my area (not likely) to set the engines to Port/Startboard
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is just going to be a junction box. It will not message the data. The engines will still have to be identified port and starboard.

Dan
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
Anyone know if this junction box eliminates the need to set one engine starboard and one engine port? It has specified spots for port / starboard. I'd like to use it to hook up my Northstar GPS to use smartcraft. I'd also like the future possibility of changing out the speedo and tachs to smartcraft units instead of the livorsi.

http://www.searay-parts.com/Mercury-...x898289t17.htm
I had the same problem on my diesels and nobody could help me not at the dealer and not at brunswick ( belgium as I m in europe ) told me what to do but that wasn t it either .

There s on the engine a " Jumper ID" that you have to switch If u look in the wiring diagram you should find it what engines do you have ?

I will try to look as well for you what I can find.

The road you are on I was also and ended up whit a lot differents harness and it was just a simple swap in a connector !
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bor
I had the same problem on my diesels and nobody could help me not at the dealer and not at brunswick ( belgium as I m in europe ) told me what to do but that wasn t it either .

There s on the engine a " Jumper ID" that you have to switch If u look in the wiring diagram you should find it what engines do you have ?

I will try to look as well for you what I can find.

The road you are on I was also and ended up whit a lot differents harness and it was just a simple swap in a connector !
I have Merc 6.2's (they are now called 377 magnum).

I was looking for a junction box and wires and stumbled upon the twin specific box i linked to in the first post. I was hoping that that particular box would convert the port/starboard.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

See if this will help give you an idea,
http://www.scribd.com/doc/93694820/S...ll-Information
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lakematdude
See if this will help give you an idea,
http://www.scribd.com/doc/93694820/S...ll-Information
Yep it s on page 31 you have to disconnect a connector on one engine !

so that smartcraft can see 2 different can bus signals one of each engine

good find lakematedude!!