Build my 598 procharged motor

Notices

Build my 598 procharged motor

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
I would stick with 4.500 bore, gives you room to clean things up if you have a ring or piston issue, and more sealing area for the head gaskets. Tall deck if you want to stroke it. I wouldn't worry about displacement, boost will make up for it. I would get billet caps, you're going to be running WOT for long periods of time, not just for a few seconds like an automotive application. I would build a solid long block, probably a 540, with some good heads sourced from a reputable engine builder, regardless of brand, and let them hand build them with top level parts. And why not just use your M3 to begin with, make sure your Hull/ Drive/ Prop are fully dialed before you throw on the bigger blower and really turn it up.
Exactly my sentiments, Smitty
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Gary, how many hours do you get between rebuilds and how much time is in boost vs driving around mellow. Theres 2 kinds of guys normally,ones who drive around easy cruising with the occasional 1/2 -1 mile wot pass and guys who hold it at wot for 10 miles+, I used to be the guy that held it in boost forever and have transitioned into more of the other kind the last few years, Smitty
The 615 had six seasons on it before freshened up, towed skiers, tubers, cruised for hours, ran 130 on 8 psi. I don't see any reason to run wot for 10 miles, a quick pass here and there is just fine.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
The 615 had six seasons on it before freshened up, towed skiers, tubers, cruised for hours, ran 130 on 8 psi. I don't see any reason to run wot for 10 miles, a quick pass here and there is just fine.
Problem is, for guys who run the ocean, or great lakes, with big heavy vee bottoms, wot for 1/2 mile normally don't cut it. Need to be able to go wot for 10 miles. Then again, this build in a small checkmate, don't think that will be a issue.

Sounds like you did some cool procharger builds though!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
If you don't mind me asking... What boat? What drive? How many hours?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Problem is, for guys who run the ocean, or great lakes, with big heavy vee bottoms, wot for 1/2 mile normally don't cut it. Need to be able to go wot for 10 miles. Then again, this build in a small checkmate, don't think that will be a issue.

Sounds like you did some cool procharger builds though!
We were just playing around with a couple of 26 DCBs, we mostly run the river and it's only 12 miles lock to lock, thought about jumping it ounce but never did.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by GAZ
If you don't mind me asking... What boat? What drive? How many hours?
My brothers 26 DCB, probably 250 to 300 hrs, mainly just wanted to check it out. Imco drive.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
I'm not trying to start a pissing match.... but, well compared to what? There are far better and safer IMO platforms to put that power into. That my friend is going to be a deathtrap.
We have a customer with one of our 1100 packages in a ZT260...handles really well believe it or not
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably 95% of what we build are 598's. The bigger bore really lets the afermarket heads, with their big valves, flow better. Of course, everyone has their preferences and theories. This is what works great for me. I use Merlin III blocks instead of the Darts. With a MerlinIII block bored to 4.600, you still have a minimum of .300 of wall thickness and siamese bores. I've never had an issue with bores distorting. It may happen with a GM GenVI block set up with big power, but I haven't had it happen with the Merlin III.

I would use the billet main caps at that power level. They are WAY more cap than the nodular iron caps. It's cheap insurance when building an engine of this caliber. I use them whenever the build is going to exceed about 1100 hp or so. I would also go for a little better crank then the Dragonslayer. Callies makes some good pieces, but the Dragonslayer is a Chinese forging that is machined in the US. I would go with the Callies Magnum, which is a Japanese forging (probably the best forging out there). Lunati is what I use and can't say enough good things about them. Buy the best parts that you can buy. It's a little extra on the front side, but you don't want to have to buy it all twice.

You should be able to easily hit your target hp with the other parts you mentioned.1200 hp is pretty easy these days. Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way.
Eddie
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
I thought you had problems with head gaskets, valve train and pistons in your motor, I must have mixed you up with someone else, Smitty
Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 AM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
I thought you had problems with head gaskets, valve train and pistons in your motor, I must have mixed you up with someone else, Smitty
I did have issues with my 598 Big Duke motor, I ran it a lot harder, the 615 is in my brothers boat.