Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fresh Water Cooled Engines...Riser/Manifold Replacement? >

Fresh Water Cooled Engines...Riser/Manifold Replacement?

Notices

Fresh Water Cooled Engines...Riser/Manifold Replacement?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh Water Cooled Engines...Riser/Manifold Replacement?

I bought a "new to me" 2004 280SC Powerquest boat earlier this summer. It was always used in the great lakes, it's never seen salt/brackish water. Both 496HO engines are fresh water cooled as well. The boat does not have a fresh water flush hook up. I keep the boat on a lift and can not get to the outdrives to flush the engines after every use. Should I have a fresh water hook up installed in the engine hatch area or should I not be concerened? My mechanic said that I will be fine since both engines are fresh water cooled and the only thing I would be flushing is just the risers and manifolds, if I had the fresh water flush installed. I've never had fresh water cooled engines before and I'm wondering if I will see longer life out of my risers and manifolds? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd get a fresh water flush installed ASAP, if it were me...... and a new mechanic! There is more that just the manifolds/risers, what about the heat exchanger, and the outdrives?
Dean
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree, I was leaning towars installing a fresh water flush and think I may do so anyways. I'm not a mechanic, but if a fresh water flush is installed will it flush out the outdrives and the heat exchanger? I think what my mechanic was saying is if I installed a fresh water flush that the only parts that would physically be flushed out are the risers and manifolds. Is that not true?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Your engines have what is referred to as "Closed Cooling" which means they are cooled by circulating antifreeze/coolant in the actual engine. They are not fresh water cooled. The antifreeze is cooled using a heat exchanger which is similar to a car radiator. Basically everything except the actual engine still gets sea water circulated through it. In a salt water environment, you need to have fresh water flushes installed and use them after each use.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Griff, thanks for correcting me. I don't know why as I keep referring to them as "Fresh Water Cooled". Thanks for the suggestions guys as I will add installing fresh water flush hoses to my spring "to do" list as well as a new mechanic