Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
I think I was looking at it a bit differant... I was thinking, lets use seats... Say they cost 2k to build, they add 5k to the boat price... Then motor, 15k to make, $35k added to cost of boat, so on and so forth, I'm just using made up numbers to present my question. Is this how the cost of a $500k boat gets it price tag...
it would be safe to say take the sum of the actual parts, double that and you may get close to what it actually costs to build and thats with zero profit. The other factor is simply this, I have a set of molds . . . . why on gods green earth would i ever build two boats for fifty thousand dollars when i can build one and sell it for a hundred? Not a single boat coming from my mold is my hobby
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-20-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I'm getting it... There is not 500k worth of boat, just all the other factors such as advertisement, labor, huge mark ups etc makes it cost so much!! Probably why they depreciate so much so quick... At least the ones I can afford!!

Rick
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 500k msrp boat, dealer cost will be in the 300-325k, they will try to get 10-15%. themanufacturer will have 250k in it, so manufacturer makesv50-75k gross profit and dealer makes 30-45k . So it will sell for 330-370k
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Just go to so,e of the websites that have price sheets. (Donzi, sunsation, formula do I know, probably others as well). Look what they charge for items where you know the approximate cost.

Example:

Donzis build sheet on a 43ZR lists a 3 bank battery charger for $1,160. Even a top of the line 3 bank charger only costs ~$350. Of course there is labor of installing it built in but it's still way over priced.

A garmin 740 is listed for $5760 and at the store is about $1000.

Hell even props are heavily marked up. Triple Mercury Racing cleaver props is listed at $31k and would be about $18k etc etc
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Just go to so,e of the websites that have price sheets. (Donzi, sunsation, formula do I know, probably others as well). Look what they charge for items where you know the approximate cost.

Example:

Donzis build sheet on a 43ZR lists a 3 bank battery charger for $1,160. Even a top of the line 3 bank charger only costs ~$350. Of course there is labor of installing it built in but it's still way over priced.

A garmin 740 is listed for $5760 and at the store is about $1000.

Hell even props are heavily marked up. Triple Mercury Racing cleaver props is listed at $31k and would be about $18k etc etc
So if there where no mark ups, no dealer cost etc etc, that boat that sales for $500k would be around 300k. I've been looking on power boats for sale by owner and some are asking for 500k plus, how does that work?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I mean there are lots of factors in pricing of a boat. Name, engines, options, hours, maintenance upkeep, age, etc etc etc depending on the brand and the way it's optioned out, it's not in common to see used boats over $500k. You will quite often see those for sale for a long time

We looked at a new 39 Cig back in 08 at sports marine in ft Myers. They wanted MSRP and wouldn't come down. Had to laugh and walk away and he i sisted the boat would be gone in a week. I believ That boat was for sale 4 years before it finally sold
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess it just takes that one person with deep deep pockets! I know there is nothing cheap with those boats, repairs, fuel, up keep, transport etc etc!! It's like it doesn't end ! But I guess if you can afford the boat, you can afford the rest! I know personally I couldn't afford the weekend fuel cost!! But I can afford YouTube to watch the vids of them !!

Rick
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do know you could build comparable power to Merc for less than half the cost. On each package they sell...
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, he created a way to build them by the thousands.......cheap. When 40,000 people will pay $60K for a 33ft cigarette boat you just might see an assembly line to build them that cheap. Currently, even the builders that put out "standard" models are actually building a fairly custom product.
Well said, these r toys and having fun isn't cheap!! If we all needed them to go to work they would be cheaper!!

The craftsmanship and technology in these boats today are awesome and we pay for it cause it makes us happy
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
You do know you could build comparable power to Merc for less than half the cost. On each package they sell...
Oh yeah! I believe that completely ! however, I am one of the guys who doesn't have the knowledge needed to build a motor so I'm stuck having to have it done and pay that big ticket at the end!!

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.