Notices

Procharger users

Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

A custom tune is necessary because A/F ratio does change with load and atmospheric differences. All reputable custom builders come tune the ECM's in the boat. I know mine changed from the dyno to the boat quite a bit. I'm sure Vortech runs theres to err of rich for safety. If it turns out rich in your boat you will have a black transom and all the sequelae of unburned fuel. It may be okay.........maybe not it's nice to know that it is right. In the scheme of the cost of the project this will not be pricey.

CNC nice set up..........
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eliminator05
Thanks,
Yes, the gimbals are a weak link. Broke one a year back at over 100+ mph,it was not pretty. Drive was only left attached by the tie bar, made for a long day. Schumaker Performance is one of the few engine builders I know that builds a great fuel injected pro charger motor.
I was out there running with you when you broke the gimbal. That certainly was a mess. I have to agree on the Schumaker setup.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=SkiDoc;3843279]
The way of increasing the fuel to the engine with the boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator on the stock ECM is not the right way to do it.QUOTE]

+1
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
I was out there running with you when you broke the gimbal. That certainly was a mess. I have to agree on the Schumaker setup.
I was out there that day too, way behind you guys! I remember hearing what happened with the broken gimbal ring, Id have definitely needed a new pair of underpants if it was me...

Glad it all worked out though...See you guys this summer...
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I was out there that day too, way behind you guys! I remember hearing what happened with the broken gimbal ring, Id have definitely needed a new pair of underpants if it was me...

Glad it all worked out though...See you guys this summer...
Summer cannot come soon enough for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the procharger VS whipple because you can stay out of max boost while cruising. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using a whipple and not having to rebuild after a season or two... prochargers though you can get everything to last if you are gentle on things for the most part and open it up occasionally.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I like the procharger VS whipple because you can stay out of max boost while cruising. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using a whipple and not having to rebuild after a season or two... prochargers though you can get everything to last if you are gentle on things for the most part and open it up occasionally.
Ive got 4 seasons on my whippled 496 cruising at 3500 rpms it doesn't even budge the boost gauge.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
With a Whipple or Roots, you would not be at max boost while cruising. I don't know where you got that info from but it is incorrect.

With a positive displacement supercharger, your boost comes in relative to throttle position. For example, cruising along at 2800RPM, you may be in vacuum. Then you nail it wot, boost shoots to pretty much its max its pulley'd for. This is why whipple and roots have been used 10x over procharger in marine applications. No lag, no need to build rpm to make boost.

in regard to drive life, the procharger will be easier on drives, because of what I posted above. With a roots or a whipple, you just cant whack it, because it will go into boost and make tons of power down low. You will have to go easy on the throttles.

there is no doubt you can make big HP numbers easily with a procharger. Simple reason is the cool charge means you can throw a lot of boost at it. Lots of boost means you can overcome the ineffieciences of the engine, and make power. With a roots ,you actually have to build a engine under the blower to make big power, because you simply cant throw a ton of boost at it due to the heat the roots makes.

IMO, Ill take a stout engine with low boost making 1000HP, over a inefficient high boost engine making 1000HP for a boat any day.

So many variables when it comes to supercharging. One guy can build a 502 that makes 1000HP. The next guy builds a 598 that makes 1000HP. The guy with the 502 says ''HA!! My 502 makes just as much as your 598 you dummy!!'' But, the difference is the 598 build is doing it with 7lbs of boost, where the 502 guy is doing it with 12lbs of boost. Which engine you think will last longer with all else equal???

This is where a screw blower like a whipple shines. All the benefits of a roots, without all the heat. As for a whipple causing a rebuild every year, that's poppycock.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
With a Whipple or Roots, you would not be at max boost while cruising. I don't know where you got that info from but it is incorrect.

With a positive displacement supercharger, your boost comes in relative to throttle position. For example, cruising along at 2800RPM, you may be in vacuum. Then you nail it wot, boost shoots to pretty much its max its pulley'd for. This is why whipple and roots have been used 10x over procharger in marine applications. No lag, no need to build rpm to make boost.

in regard to drive life, the procharger will be easier on drives, because of what I posted above. With a roots or a whipple, you just cant whack it, because it will go into boost and make tons of power down low. You will have to go easy on the throttles.

there is no doubt you can make big HP numbers easily with a procharger. Simple reason is the cool charge means you can throw a lot of boost at it. Lots of boost means you can overcome the ineffieciences of the engine, and make power. With a roots ,you actually have to build a engine under the blower to make big power, because you simply cant throw a ton of boost at it due to the heat the roots makes.

IMO, Ill take a stout engine with low boost making 1000HP, over a inefficient high boost engine making 1000HP for a boat any day.

So many variables when it comes to supercharging. One guy can build a 502 that makes 1000HP. The next guy builds a 598 that makes 1000HP. The guy with the 502 says ''HA!! My 502 makes just as much as your 598 you dummy!!'' But, the difference is the 598 build is doing it with 7lbs of boost, where the 502 guy is doing it with 12lbs of boost. Which engine you think will last longer with all else equal???

This is where a screw blower like a whipple shines. All the benefits of a roots, without all the heat. As for a whipple causing a rebuild every year, that's poppycock.
That my friend is one hell of a post loaded with useful information for people like myself . Thank you .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.