Who's Using an Inverter on Board?? >

Who's Using an Inverter on Board??

Notices

Who's Using an Inverter on Board??

Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Great info guys. Wondering about battery capacity though. You guys in the bigger boats are all probably running dual banks no? I only run two batteries.
I do not have AC either so would only be hair tools for the Mrs and maybe a TV and coffee pot.

Finding these dirt cheap and thinking they'll do the job??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290838860707...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.

Anyone doing this on a small cuddy like I am? Two batteries??
I run (2) group 27 RV batteries for just the inverter (but can link all 4 if necessary), another group 27 for the stereo and a group 24 for the motor. I have a 150 amp alternator as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 12V DC appliances are a joke. Take them back - they don't really work. bought the coffee maker - advertised that it makes a cup of coffee in minutes. Remember 59 minutes is still minutes. Had to have the engine running the whole time also otherwise the voltage wasn't high enough. I bought a 2000 watt inverter and have 2 - 27 series batteries. OH and TV's will run on non sine wave inverters. Mine does and the microwave also.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Get her a butane curling iron.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2 group 24's and two 27's I would run on all four and with the AC on all night they were in the mid 11's in the am. I had this stuff in my 28 daytona.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

More great info. Thanks guys.

On the $60. junker I posted, even w/not having heat/AC in the boat to power like you guys do, you still think it won't last?? I did the math and 1000 watts should be more than enough assuming it actually puts out 1K watts. So I doubled it to 2000 watts for security.

And on the DC coffee pts....., I could write an entire thread on them. Went through three on my old Sonic before stumbling on one that actually did what it claimed. Screwed up and let that one got to Panama w/the boat.
Went through two more on this boat before giving up. That was after running separate 10 gauge leads approx. 1' from the battery switch to a designated power out let. Killed both group 24 batteries. Replaced both batteries and tried it again w/same result.
Bet between batteries, cables/supplies and actual coffee pots I've spent $500. to have a hot cup of coffee on the boat.
One of my smart ass buddies told me on one our Keys trips to switch to mountain Dew. I punched him.

Here's a link to the boat in question. I don't have room (nor want the weight) for a 2nd set of batteries. I think I do have room for a set of group 27's though and thats probably next. I may look at the dual cycles as well, as I know starting batteries (using now) are way different than deep cycle and vice versa.

Griff, I almost did. Down side I saw Vs DC/AC was running out of butane.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...uddy-keys.html

Tinkerer, thats funny. If you follow the link above you can read about my struggles for coffee in the morning
Here's what I ended up with after combining a paint can, single burner stove, an extension hose, a camping coffee pot and some red neck emngineering. Actually works great (10-15 mins for a pot) but is a pain to drag around.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-03-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I had a 2 group 24's and two 27's I would run on all four and with the AC on all night they were in the mid 11's in the am. I had this stuff in my 28 daytona.
What size ac were you running, I have a 7000btu I need to run for 4 hours. I think 3 group 27 batteries and a 3000 watt inverter will work but store said no.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the exact unit here:
http://www.mmair.com/marine_division...200_btu_system

Sounds to me what you want to do should work fine. How many amps does that ac draw when running? it is pretty easy to do the math and figure out how much power you need.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get you a Honda 1000/2000 Gen.
Lighter and mobile.

I have a ProMariner inverter for using the blender and such instead of firing up the genny. 2 group 27 house batteries. If I had to buy it again, i'd get a true sine wave inverter, instead of the modified one.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.