Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Oh Engine Gods, I need some advice..... >

Oh Engine Gods, I need some advice.....

Notices

Oh Engine Gods, I need some advice.....

Old 07-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Engine Gods, I need some advice.....

I need some advice from you Engine Gods. I just got my mint, beautiful, totally awesome 1972 back from the engine shop last night. Had a brand spanking new 454 put in it. Drove it for about 2 hours last night and it ran fine, and when I started it this morning it made the most awful rattle in the world. Drove it back to the engine shop and the mechanic confirmed what I thought: the cam went bad (exhaust lobe).
So now what? Is it as simple as just replacing the cam or do I need to make certain he does more work than just the cam?
Thanks guys...
Old 07-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that lobe went somewhere.think about all that metal swimming in your oil pan.at the very least you might want to drop the pan and clean it out,check a bearing or two as well and change the oil about 3 times this week.

p.s.sorry to hear about your problems,who did the cam break in?
Old 07-24-2002, 12:56 PM
DanL

Was it a flat tappit cam? Sounds like the breakin didn't occur. Are the springs too heavy for the cam type? The procedure for break-in on a flat tappit is engine primed with an oil pump primer, distrib in and set at tdc and ready to fire, fire the engine and take it up to 15-1700 rpm for 20plus minutes to break in the cam.This allows the lifters to "find" the cam and rotate when its running. Set the timing during breakin to smooth it out.

Old 07-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Registered

Default Flat tappet cam break-in

On my drag car~

I like to run the outer springs only during break-in on a solid lift cam. They can wipe during break-in otherwise.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:54 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

G-Force, have them change the main bearings regardless. As was stated above, the metal went some where, and the bearings are the first place in the oil flow pattern. You got some kind of warrantee, right?????

By the way, now you know how I felt this past May!!!! Got one mile from the ramp, no more cam!!! And I did the break in correctly.