I want to Buy/Build an Endurance boat that can be containerised

Notices

I want to Buy/Build an Endurance boat that can be containerised

Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to Buy/Build an Endurance boat that can be containerised

NOOB here: l-t reader, 1st post.

pre-story: My firm is fxin' to be bought-out, and I am joyfully looking at being (semi-)retired, esp with some excess-to-needs FU money that needs to be spent on big-boy toys. err, stimulate the economy.

I wish to build/buy/re-build a big-water Endurance boat. I may/may not campaign it: CTC, London-Montecarlo, RoundBritain are dreams; NYC-to-Bermuda? <drool> Round Long Island? More, please. Bimini & back? of course.

Those excursions are maybe/possibly/if the stars align ... The forsworn reality and guarantee is that some lazy Saturday morning, I'll hop (quickly & wetly) over to Brussels for sprouts and waffles, or scoot over to France for froglegs and smelly cheese.

"Offshore" as defined in the current vernacular? No, not so much. When I turn left, I want to be looking for: 'FWE,' a bathroom, a hot tub, a hamburger and/or a dentist.

An Unapologetic boat, please. Loud. Testosterone-laced. Scares the ladies and makes horses bolt. Depends diapers are part of the kit, because there's no toilet aboard. Pure endurance. An unadorned streamlined, hydrodynamic, crack resistant, waterproof, overpowered 40' fueltank, if you wish.

Running 90kts on glass is surely an eyebrow boogie, but wheeled for 60kts for 4hours in 6-9s is the meat & mead and design condition. Then when I quit pissing blood in a day or two, hose the top layer of salt off, fuel it up and do it all over again is job #1 & #1a.

I 'spect anybody who mentions 'Endurance' bows to the East and whispers 'Buzzi,' but there are other good podium boats, too, that will surely fit in a container, yes? I'd like to know options & opinions, especially experienced ones.

Engines? Everybody has diesel packages from 600-1000hp+ that will fit SxS in an 8' hull, and ALL makers lie abt TBO. 's'ok - overhauling engines in the winter is a cost of setting up to run CTC next Summer, anyhow: endurance is not a game for the faint of heart, nor thin of wallet.

That said, service is a concern. If I break a Knudssen Valve at the Isle of Mann while looking for a woman, or in Argyle trying on socks, or Sarasota shopping for sushi ...

I would very much appreciate your thoughts, opinions, experiences.

Bob
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 AM
British member!
VIP Member

37' overall with a 7'4" beam, fits in a 40' container and with the twin Yanmar 370hp option should be fast enough!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe a more important questions would be "What the fooook was Bob smoking when he penned the above post?"
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts

^^^^ I`m with this guy! also wtf is containerized and can you send that Mary jane down my way cause it must be really good
Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
^^^^ I`m with this guy! also wtf is containerized and can you send that Mary jane down my way cause it must be really good
So you can fit it in a standard shipping container.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe I'm just a noob but what in world is a Knudssen Valve? Is that the same as a Kenibler pin, or a framastatic gasket? Flux capacitor? Carbon ducket?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Will be hard to fit while its on a trailer....and a pain to load when its not on a trailer.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
... "What the fooook was Bob smoking when he penned the above post?"
Clearly, the good stuff. Wine-dark seas & white-knuckle boats are fun - so are words.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Maybe I'm just a noob but what in world is a Knudssen Valve? Is that the same as a Kenibler pin, or a framastatic gasket? Flux capacitor? Carbon ducket?
Ahhh, Mickey, I see you are familiar having to find a Waukesha part in Caterpillar-land, too.

It's a pre-solvable issue, but there are lot of solutions.

I really like that Isotta Fraschini 1306, but if you need to replace a ... say, gasket in Gastonville Georgia ... good luck, until DHL finds you from Italy.

There is not really that issue with FPT, Yanmar, Volvo ...
Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Will be hard to fit while its on a trailer....and a pain to load when its not on a trailer.
A standard shipping container is a teeny shy of 8', so if you have a lot of "just rights" fall into place - like Cookee's BananaShark, above - it's possible you could fit boat + trailer (removable tongue) into a container.

Generally, you'll own the container, and have a seriously supportive cradle built: then its a matter of dragging the boat out, and lifting it onto a rental transporter.

Shipping a container is quick, economical (read: cheap) and secure from pilferage and looky-lous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.