Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My 0.02 on the soap box (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29012-my-0-02-soap-box.html)

Gary Anderson 07-18-2002 11:28 AM

I'm afraid liscencing, safety equipment, etc would still not help much. There seems to be the assumption, especially by new sport boat owners, that running wide open in any conditions is OK if it's legal. Same as in a car.
A few weeks after I sold my 100mph cat to a friend, I had the chance to drive it again. The new owner was asking why I was only running 80 in less than ideal conditions. He really didn't understand that you couldn't run 100 mph ALL THE TIME. This guy was not some a$$hole, speedfreak, daredevil. He came from an underpowered V to a cat and just had no clue.
He stuffed the boat about 2 weeks later.
My guess is that insurance will end up regulating high speed boats. It was done for muscle cars of the 60s and now my company wont even cover sport boats. And it looks like insurance for cats is going through the roof.
Speed limits might help. At least when you buy a 180mph Ferarri, you cant drive it that fast without Troutly chasing you down. But on the water they can be difficult to enforce. And a safe speed will vary widely depending on boat type.
I'll apologise now for bringing up speed limits on this board.
Gary

283CHECK 07-18-2002 11:35 AM

On the lakes that I boat, they should give the pwc riders tests. And make them read them over their right shoulder, then left shoulder, stright ahead and repeat!! None of them look around we underway. We have had more pwc accidents this year than anyother:(

On the topic, our boat is roughly a 65 mph boat that is pushing it hard. I only feel comfortable running that speed with me and my wife becuase we both agree on it. With passengers and my daughter 45-50 crusie speed is more comfortable and seems to be more enjoyable.

G-Force 07-18-2002 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Shane
In fact, just recently there was a thread started about what type of drink you prefer on your boat. How ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS IS THAT? When you are going to be getting behind the controls of any boat, let alone a high peformance boat, you should have NO ALCOHOL in your system WHATSOEVER!
Hey bro - I also put up non alcoholic drinks up in my poll, AND gave the option to vote for what your crew drinks just in case you don't drink anything when you're behind the wheel. Okay?:)

25 Eagle 07-18-2002 11:44 AM

7 people that I know of have died in cats this year. 4 from HTM and the 3 brothers on the east coast. No safety gear in either case. If your gonna run fast do it right.

Shane 07-18-2002 01:07 PM

G-Force,

Please take NO OFFENSE as NON was intended. I just really believe in no alcohol if you are driving. YES you DID put up other options. Thank you for doing so. I am sorry if it appeared I was coming downon you hard. CERTAINLY that was NOT the case nor intent. I appologize if I came across that way. My bad. I am NOT against driniking in anyway. Just don't drive anything. Being a firefighter for 10 years and pulling countless people out of boat and car wrecks dead, losing family members and friends I have a keen awareness of all the bad that comes from drinking and operating anything. Don't mean to preach, it's just that all to often the people that get hurt in these cases were not involved until someone else lost control.:(

Shane 07-18-2002 01:10 PM

25Eagle,

Cats, Vees, bikes, cars, etc. don't kill people. Careless operation and or operation above one's own or the vehicle's limits are the most common cause of these accidents.

G-Force 07-18-2002 01:14 PM

No problem Shane - I just didn't want you or anyone to think that I in any way advocate reckless drinking when somebody is behind the wheel.
I admire people such as yourself and Troutly who don't partake of alcohol when out on a boat - it's hard sometimes watching your crew party down if you're abstaining.
Enjoy!:)

GeeterB 07-18-2002 01:33 PM

Hey Guys....I've been surfing the board for a while now...finally got registered....I am without boat right now....but am in the market for another...I have boated on the Mississipi for the past 7 years and can remember 3 times in 7 yrs that the conditions were ideal for going fast.......yep, just 3....and that was going out every possible time I could and the boat I had was in rack storage so it was easy to get out.....In ideal conditions, I can see wringing out the boats we have...but those conditions seldom if ever show up IMHO.........by the way...I don't boat at loto because I am not experienced enough to deal with those conditions!!! and can't deal with the pounding you take if your boat is under 40 ft down there, (my previous boat was a 27).

Cord 07-18-2002 01:47 PM

I'm thinking that when a person with alot more years and experience says that you shouldn't do somthing, that you're going to kill somebody, that perhaps you should listen to them. They might actually know more than you do! And for god's sake, learn how to drive the boat before you got out and get jiggy and hurt somebody. Damn it all! Think of what you are doing! :mad:

BradH 07-18-2002 02:34 PM

I am not sure what to think about boater licensing. It is a good idea, but the fact that every boater on the water would have to have one, and would have to take a test to get one seems a little daunting. An on-the-water test would be the best but is it at all possible and feasible? I got mine from NY parks and recreation a long time ago, but I didn’t learn anything more than I had from being out on the water.

When I got my drivers license and had to get insurance, they were able to give me a lower rate based on good grades in school, driver education classes, and some other stuff. In the end I think it saved me about 35%. My point is that if I could get discounts for this stuff with a drivers license, why don’t insurance companies lower rates for boaters who get a boating license. Lets say maybe 10% off for each class (I’m just throwing out numbers here.)

Originally posted by Shooter

How can a 15 year old be experienced in anything, much less operation of machinery?

I know where you are coming from. But some of us do have experience. Understand that. I have been driving our boat since I was about eight. Going out by myself in it since I was 15. I know I am NOT like everyone else. I am in a very small minority. 99% of teenagers could not operate a boat safely to save their life. I am not taking this personally, (I am 17), put please realize there a few “good” kids out there. It is unfortunate to hear about all of these teenagers getting into a fast boat or jet ski with no experience and having it end up like this. It gives us a bad name, and rightfully so, but understand we are not all bad. Some of us

Could it also be the parent’s fault? I mean come on, who in their right mind would give their 15 year old son their jet ski for the night. Based on what happened, I don’t think he was very “experienced.” I think all parents should take responsibility for what happens with their kid on the water. Parents can take away the keys, so why don’t they???

All this stuff is starting to piss me off…

Brad

Did I hear something about the Darwin Awards? Could this guy qualify for one?