Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered? >

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Notices

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the green sticker towards the bow where the MCs would go....have to have that.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
neg . no stickers on youre boat subject to being hurassed . looking for registration time n time again . better not drink
Hard to see them behind me with rooster tails, hard to hear siren with 1800 HP at WOT, their boats only do 65...

But, I have met them at the dock and shown them my coast guard reg!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it with the state. If you don't you might as well quit drinking and make sure you have mufflers. And they will not adhere to the no shoes on the boat rule either...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Just do it with the state. If you don't you might as well quit drinking and make sure you have mufflers. And they will not adhere to the no shoes on the boat rule either...
1+

I am active duty CG but I'm not a boarding officer, I work on and drive our big ships. My roommate on the ship is a boarding officer. Don't drink on your boat and drive it, if you are above .08BAC it does not matter if you are documented or state registration you are going to jail. And the boarding officers are not going to take off their black boots, just let it go.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
Hi Derek, my boat is documented. Was previously documented as well.

Ok, in Michigan, you still need to register it to get the year sticker. Upon doing this, you will be generated MC numbers. I run only the year sticker on my boat, no MCs.

I was stopped by the sheriff on St Clair, asked why I had no MCs displayed and I said it was documented.....they had no clue what it meant. Called another sheriff to come. 6 guys and none knew the law. Finally I asked for the coast guard to be called....once I was good and pissed off. They took all my info and told me I should put MCs on the boat.

I never did and was never stopped again.
Ours are CG documented in Florida but we bring them up to Indy during summer/ hurricane season and run them on our local lake as well as other Mid West lakes. I was pulled over by DNR on our local lake and he asked why I had no numbers. I told him its CG documented and my FL sticker is on the other side. He went over and saw sticker but insisted I needed numbers as well. Since We had asked the CG in Florida prior to this if we were correct in our placement of the FL sticker and not needing numbers, I knew I could argue with the DNR officer. I politely informed him how I specifically asked the CG and he said that he was wrong. He then said if I continue to argue with him he will take my boat. DNR has a lot of authority and since he was just giving me a warning I just shut up and went on my way. Haven't been pulled over by them since and that was 4 years ago
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Where I am I have found the opposite to be true - documented boats are LESS likely to get pulled. In fact I live close to a coast guard training facility and I have never been stopped in my CIG. Local Marine Patrol and CG have on occasion pulled through our raft up and NEVER given me one minute of attention where as the registered boats get plenty. Gone blasting past the CG and MP LOTS of times and never gotten anything but a wave, even when they are obviously out doing boardings.

I honestly think they figure if I have the sophistication level to run a documented boat and fill it with a thousand dollars worth of fuel, that I have sprung the 9 bucks for flares, and am carrying the pre-requisite orange life vests.

Another Pro is depending on your state you MIGHT get away with not paying sales tax if they don't put it all together.
All true....... Both my boats are doc. Never paid sales tax & so far (10yrs) never pulled over for no numbers.
It's the way to go !
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
1+

I am active duty CG but I'm not a boarding officer, I work on and drive our big ships. My roommate on the ship is a boarding officer. Don't drink on your boat and drive it, if you are above .08BAC it does not matter if you are documented or state registration you are going to jail. And the boarding officers are not going to take off their black boots, just let it go.
thats one thing I'd like to know, did anybody here ever ask the boarding officer to remove his boots before he boarded, and what happened....
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

In Florida....

If a boat is in the state for more than 90 days, it has to be registered with the state regardless of documentation
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tcwcar
thats one thing I'd like to know, did anybody here ever ask the boarding officer to remove his boots before he boarded, and what happened....
Did you? And what happened? I heard sometimes some would remove their boots, but that is not the guys I work with right now. It is a big service and I have not meet everyone in the service yet.

Last edited by Sunrocket24; 01-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

in ohio u pay tax's ether way. i love not having the oh# on the side. looks a lot cleaner with out them down the sides of the bow. now the uscg is in and out of my marina all the time because it is a us port for going and coming back from Canada and i havent been stoped or bothered. i have an ohio sticker and have on the side in the middle by my windshield
[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.