Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered? >

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Notices

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
I think that I'm just going to title/register it with the state so I don't have any problems. The sheriffs where I boat seem to look for a reason to pull you over on a busy weekend
Good plan a friend of mine tried the CG and no MC numbers for a while. He got pulled over every time going in or out the channel.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
I would if he was walking on my furniture!
Put towels down if your that worried.

Talked to my roommate today at work about this and here is what he does on a typical boarding. (This is not what all our boarding officers practice but most do.)

If he pulls up next to your boat and you can show your registration/and or documentation and all of your safety gear quickly they will not step foot on the boat, just give you the boarding slip and leave. If you have signs of being intoxicated, or you are acting like a arrogant a$$ they will board the boat, if he decides they are going to board they don't remove their boots.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

All the boating rules and laws apply to me also, I'm just a regular worker Coastie and not a boarding officer. Our Boarding Officers are Federal Law Enforcement Officers. I out rank my roommate and can tell him what to do at work, but if I'm in my personal boat and he boards me (or any other CG Boarding Officer) and I'm drunk or being an a$$ they can arrest me.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

I just did my new boat in Ohio and saves you from sales tax which save me 6000 dollars. Well worth it.plus no goofey numbers
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TDSTYG
I just did my new boat in Ohio and saves you from sales tax which save me 6000 dollars. Well worth it.plus no goofey numbers
dig deeper becouse it is not a sales tax for doc.ed boats it is a useage tax that u have to pay. ohio gets there money eather way. i went throw it the begining of last year. u can get the form on there website. also in ohio u still need the ohio sticker if ya didnt already know that.