Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Involved discussion on finances and plans to purchase boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29032-involved-discussion-finances-plans-purchase-boats.html)

beerock 07-23-2002 06:02 PM

BUY USED
thats my motto

I have friends that always say "your buying someone elses problem"
I always shake my head and get a bit aggravated because he doesnt understand that he is throwing money away.

If you know what to inspect there is nothing wrong with buying used.....

I'm one of the lucky ones...the value of both my boats went up.

I bought my lil 18 foot donzi classic when I was 14 years old(1989), I had sold my boston whaler which i saved up for myself($2000) and I sold it for $2500.500 dollar profit

then my parents came up with half the cash for the 18foot donzi($2500) and I drove it for two seasons......

the motor blew up 2 seasons later and it sat on blocks until last july 5th 2001 (I tired to get it running by th 4th)

I found this site and donzi registry and met lots of people and learned alot, I figureI could sell my boat for 10,000 PLUS since they have sold for that price and above...

So I am a whole other story, but i had to add it ;)

by the way im ithcin for a bigger boat say, 28 ft with a whore house below ;)

vonwolske 07-23-2002 09:13 PM

My brother said, "If you really want to get rich, find a new way to package sex." Probably true.
When I was at the Miami Boat show in February, I took a ride on the water taxi in Ft Lauderdale. The captain said that the guy who owns Victorias Secret has a yacht that is 317 feet long and it costs $1700 a night to park it. BTW a Navy destroyer is only 285 feet long. Anyway, all he did was to take the Fredericks of Hollywood catoalog of tramps (gotta love them) and legitimatize them as sexy wives.
I also asked a boat salesman if 911 had affected boat sales, he said the big ones were selling better than ever. I asked him if that meant 35 feet and over. He said, "No, 80 feet and up". I too have problems relating to that wealth.
Jay, you are an expressive writer and should try doing short stories.
I am not rich, but I buy cash almost everything and always spend less than I make.

PhantomChaos 12-14-2010 03:13 PM

Some good info here.......still applies!

DollaBill 12-14-2010 05:50 PM

Wow Nort! you are diggin up some OOOOOOOLD stuff. Cool though. As for boat loans.. I sold them but only had one on the first 22 Scarab I had in 94. As a dealer/industry person it makes sense to use your credit lines and use and turn them. After that I paid cash. At this point i'd only pay cash. Thats why I'm gona be in the market for a 38 TG or 42 FTN next year in the '01/02 to '06 range.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-14-2010 05:55 PM

Glad to see the thread starter (jayl13)finally got his big boat (41 Apache). Not sure how he ended up paying for it or the subsequent restoration (in progress) but sounds like he got the system figured out.

CigDaze 12-14-2010 06:38 PM

Holy sht, Nort. This was a can of worms that I thought we had re-sealed and buried a long time ago. You unearthed it, and opened it back up. :eek: :D :drink:

CigDaze 12-14-2010 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3274565)
Glad to see the thread starter (jayl13)finally got his big boat (41 Apache). Not sure how he ended up paying for it or the subsequent restoration (in progress) but sounds like he got the system figured out.

Ahhh...long story, as I recall.

fasthawk6 12-14-2010 07:43 PM

It would be intresting to see how all of these people are doing after the **** hit the fan over the last few years. I went through the first 6 pages and there was alot of dedt 2 house 3 cars 300 k homes and a boat, I guess one would assume there had to be some repos happing.

omerta one 12-14-2010 07:49 PM

:drink:

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3274561)
Wow Nort! you are diggin up some OOOOOOOLD stuff. Cool though. As for boat loans.. I sold them but only had one on the first 22 Scarab I had in 94. As a dealer/industry person it makes sense to use your credit lines and use and turn them. After that I paid cash. At this point i'd only pay cash. Thats why I'm gona be in the market for a 38 TG or 42 FTN next year in the '01/02 to '06 range.

OMG! I am SHOCKED that NT is not on your list???:drink:

Jupiter Sunsation 12-14-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by fasthawk6 (Post 3274659)
It would be intresting to see how all of these people are doing after the **** hit the fan over the last few years. I went through the first 6 pages and there was alot of dedt 2 house 3 cars 300 k homes and a boat, I guess one would assume there had to be some repos happing.

Watching this PR video you can see A LOT of boats that became bank owned, guys that were hitters back then and are ghosts at the dock today. A couple of boats in the video ended up stolen or burnt....hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGk5HGyeAjI