Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   B-Max v.s. Imco SC (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29045-b-max-v-s-imco-sc.html)

KAAMA 07-19-2002 08:23 PM

Yep, and when those 6's break it's like at least $35,000. But, they are one tuff ombre'

Anyway, I think we all know that 6's are the badest of the bad, but if there is a way around them and trannies I'm going to hunt and it's improving as time goes on.

THEJOKER 07-19-2002 08:25 PM

B- Max

I put a B- Max on the Solarized SVL # 33 last year. Me and a friend did conversion at my shop and it took about 8 hours. You have to drill the wing plates for your steering as far as modifications and that's about it. The first race we raced with the B-Max was Ft Lauderdale. It took a pounding and we won the race by atrition. Pulling up to the crane to get weighed, I put the boat in gear and the small brass gear lever snapped in the drive. The boat would not go into gear. Thank goodness it was at the crane. I took the boat to Dean and he installed a new lever ( he acted like he didn't want to but we slept in the parking lot at his shop with B-Max stickers all over the boat) We left Dean's shop and attended the Nationals in St Pete. We smoked 'em with that drive and definitely did not loose any speed with the B- Max. Solarized went on to race two races in The Worlds and that drive never broke. It leaked a little water sometimes but that was about it. We were instrumental in getting the B-Max homoligated for APBA in SVL also. Dean was supposed to put us in his ads and other media publications but that never happened. Overall Dean and the B-Max was the right choice for our race team. So there ya have it , this was as honest as I could be!

Brian Hollis - Driver
2001 SVL National Champion # 1

THEJOKER 07-19-2002 08:27 PM

idiot

I'm a computer idiot - sorry about posting this twice. I was not finished and I hit the send button - BH

KAAMA 07-19-2002 08:29 PM

Sorry WaterFoul, It was "BJ" from Jim Valako's shop who told me about the B-Max's that kept breaking on that tripple engine OL .

shawn 07-19-2002 09:57 PM

Someone should fabricate a stand off box that will bolt up to a Bravo transom assembly that will house a transmission and mount a number five to the back. Similar to the set up that Imco did for that 144 MPH Eliminator boat. Now you will have a good set up between the Bravo and number six.

WILDTHING TAZ 07-22-2002 10:50 PM

KAAMA AND ANY OTHER BOATER THAT IS INTERESTED. I AM THE OWNER OF THE TRIPEL OUTERLIMITS. WE STARTED THE YEAR OFF ON THE WRONG FOOT WHEN WE ORDERED 1.43 RATIO. THIS WAS THE WRONG RATIO.THIS IS WHY WE LOST THE LOWER GEARS IN HAVASU POKER RUN WITH ONLY 10 HOURS ON THE CENTER DRIVE.WE WENT BACK TO FORT MYERS AFTER RUN AND DEAN CHANGED LOWER GEARS TO 1.30. THIS IS THE STRONGEST GEAR SET TO USE.WE THEN BROKE THE PROP SHAFT ON CENTER ENGINE IN SMOKE ON THE WATER POKER RUN. THIS WAS DO TO RAISING HP TO 700 FROM 600HP IN THE CENTER POSITION.YOU ALL MUST REALIZE THIS BOAT RUNS ON TWIN 500HP IN THE REAR AND A 700 SUPER CHARGED 540CI IN THE CENTER. LAST YEAR WE HAD A 600HP SUPERCHARGED IN THE CENTER AND WENT 97MPH WITH IMCO'S. WHEN WE WENT TO 700HP IN CENTER THAT WAS TO MUCH. WHEN WE WOULD LAUNCH IN RUFF WATER,THAT 700 WOULD TRY AND PULL THE ENTIRE BOAT UNTILL THE OUTSIDE DRIVES WOULD ENTER WARTER.IT WOULD TWIST SHAFT OFF LIKE IT WAS BUTTER.WE LOWERED BOOST TO 2.5 LBS FROM 5 LBSWHICH LOWER HP WE ESTIMATE TO BE AAPOX.600HP.WE ARE NOW RUNNING FINE.WE HAVE OVER 80 HOURS ON DRIVES.WE CHANGED OIL THIS WEEK.WE HAD NO FUZZIES ON MAGNETS. THE TOP GEARS HAVE NOT SHOWN A BIT OF WEAR.LAST YEAR I BROKE 1 OUT OF 4 TIMES WITH IMCO'S.EVERY PART IN THEM EXCEPT THE CASE.THE MOST BREAKAGE WAS THE UPPER GEARS.I WOULD BREAK OUT FLOOR PLATE OR TWIST FRICTION WELD.I HAVE NOT DONE EATHER WITH THE B-MAX'S. RON BENDER

jeffaker 07-24-2002 11:35 AM

Bravo to Speedmaster conversion

Please contact Jeff Haylett @ 517-238-4475. He recently did a Bravo to Speedmaster conversion on my boat. He fabricated the extension boxes himself and they housed the transmissions. The engines stayed in their original locations. He didn't use a tailstock as the drives plugged directly into the transmissions. He established the engine alignment and then fabricated the boxes around the transmissions. The boxes look better than Mercury factories. He also adapted the external steering to make it work. I did have to purchase wingplates and tiebars. A much improved set up over Bravos. He did an excellent job.

cobra marty 07-24-2002 03:55 PM

Jeffaker, Do you have any pictures of this conversion?

jeffaker 07-25-2002 09:40 AM

Cobra Marty,

Please contact Jeff Haylett @ 517-238-4475. He took pictures of the whole project. I believe that an article is going to be done on this project in Hot Boat magazine. Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.