Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   B-Max v.s. Imco SC (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29045-b-max-v-s-imco-sc.html)

www.gone 07-18-2002 01:35 PM

B-Max v.s. Imco SC

I've got a friend with a 28 Advantage Cat that's making 825 Hp with a supercharged 540. Has broken 2 Teague Platinums(not the XR Platinum) and is considering the IMCO SC and B-Max. he also talk ed to a company in Lake Havazu called Alcov Marine and they claim they can take his Stock Bravo and turn it into a XR that will take the power. Looking for feedback or experiences.

jdnca1 07-18-2002 01:40 PM

If you want to be sure the drive will handle the power go with the B-Max. I know of a guy that puts 1450HP and 1300# of TQ to one with no problems in two years. Went through 10 Teague drives in one summer before the B-max and that was with 1200 HP.

mltdwn12 07-18-2002 06:00 PM

I'd go with the B-max, you'll lose a little speed, but gain the security. BTW, how fast does that cat run when it ain't breakin' drives ;)

Craig

KAAMA 07-18-2002 06:11 PM

I think WaterFoul was telling me that at the Smoke On The Water poker run in June, there was a guy there from Ohio with a tripple engine Outer Limits with B-Max's. He broke one while he was there and apparently has broke more previously. I was practically in disbelief! Maybe Foul can chime in on this and give a little more info. At least I THINK it was WaterFoul that had told me this.

BTW, I think the guy with OL seem to be breaking them around the bottom half of the B-Max lower unit from what I was told.

KAAMA 07-18-2002 06:17 PM

BTW, I think the dude with the OL was breaking the B-Max's around the bottom half of the lower unit from what I remember being told.

www.gone 07-18-2002 06:20 PM

He's hit 99 on the GPS in speedo last year with 4 lbs of boost. He went from 4% under to 4% over and hasn't had the drive last long enough to make another speed run> Haven't heard any comments on the Alcov Maine Drive.

Neverfastenuf 07-18-2002 06:32 PM

What part of the drives is he breaking???? I went through 6 drives (3 Bravo 1 XRs). Called Bob Teague and he sent me a Platinum XR unit and it has held up so far(approx. 25hrs). He has the Platinum XR units behind 1000hp and they are holding up. I am happy now not having to be pulled back to the marina every other time out!!!! BTW, the other units lasted from 2-8 hrs. Good luck.

timucin 07-18-2002 06:57 PM

I used imco and not satisfied.......

called them back;they told me that ''we did not guaranted 650hp we just said it is stronger than stock bravo''

but they actually told me that there are several boats using their drive behind 850 hp's.

and B-max they are more expensive then rebuilt ssmV drives.
why dont u buy them and forget drive-problem?!?
(app prices b-max 11000usd-ssmV 8000usd)

KAAMA 07-18-2002 07:03 PM

timucin,
When speaking of the IMCO drive, are you talking about their stock Bravo One drive gear case with beefed up IMCO parts? OR are you speaking of the NEW IMCO SC drive that is based off the Bravo One drive but with IMCO's own engineered/desgned gear case?

timucin 07-18-2002 09:11 PM

it was 2 years ago.
but was not standart bravo.they were calling it extra or xtreme drive .

but this is not the point!!!

the point is they dont stand behind their product.!!!

how will you be sure about new drive will work?

is it strong enough?

if they tell you we did not give you guarantee we said there are some boats using with same hp?

if mrs Belinda (sales-lady) goes to vacation and does not come back for 5 mothns so noone calls you back-no one speaks with you ?