Notices

Bravo XR Upgrade

Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
MPH
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR Upgrade

Has anyone used (just) components to upgrade their XR upper/lower, like the Platinum components from Teague or components from IMCO or from the Bravo Shop or maybe someone else, with any success? I'm wondering if using these types of stronger components (shafts, bearings, gears, carriers, etc) will increase the drive strength enough and help handle increases in HP? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used both Teague and Imco drives and have done very well with them. There's more to it than HP, or more forces at work on the drives, especially torque. What kind of boat are you talking about and how much horse power?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes they do make better parts, but in most cases in the long run its not worth the money.

I have every upgrade part made inside my Imco SC drive, which also has a stronger case etc, and still break parts and wear out the gears. Hard to put a HP number on it but even stock 525s wear out/break XR drives. I personally would save up for a better drive, unless you have under 600 hp, light efficient boat, and enjoy driving like a grandma, then maybe upgrade parts.

People will tell you to baby your sticks, don't get air, use magic fluid, bla bla bla. Why have a sports car then granny shift the trans??? I am not saying you should abuse your boat but the main purpose of a GO FAST offshore boat is to drive it fast and enjoy the rush and speed.

Everyone drives different, they put more or less hours on their boat, some have the older Merc gears that are forged better, etc. Hard to get good info on how long your drives will really last. Basically by the time you spend the money to upgrade the XR you could have bought a Arneson, B-Max, SCX, SCX-4, Konrad, etc.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
MPH
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim mccray
I've used both Teague and Imco drives and have done very well with them. There's more to it than HP, or more forces at work on the drives, especially torque. What kind of boat are you talking about and how much horse power?
It's a Ultra 27 Shadow with a Teague 825 (basically), 866 CBHP at 5900 and 860 CBTrq at 4200.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right at or over the power and torque limits of that drive with your power. Not so bad with that boat, it's a cat and it's not all that heavy of a boat, weights another concern but with what you're running you don't have the load that larger vee with twins would have. I was going to say if you had something like a Top Gun with that power and drive set up, that's a definite bravo buster. The last time I had a boat with bravos I ended up going to the IMCO SCX. I got sick of the XR rebuilding. The IMCO is a great drive and worth the money. As the other person on here stated, by the time you get done beefing up or changing parts out in the XR you could have just bought a bigger stronger drive and called it a day. You can even get an SCX with a number 6 size prop shaft and use cleavers if you want. Then you'll have a better variety and selection of props to play with. Anyway, good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Talking

I would get a new spare upper.. I just happen to know of one and the price has been lowered!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ml#post3856990