Notices

1350's Dominance

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1350's Dominance

I have noticed over the last year almost all of the new high end boats are being rigged with the Merc. 1350's. I can only think of several of the Outerlimits which came with there own brand of engine that do not have the 1350's. This has to cut into the custom marine engine builders business. I think a new era has emerged that you can have ultra high performance, reliablity and longevity. I think it would be unthinkable to power one of our high dollar range toys with anything else. I wouldn't want to be a salesman trying to sell a new boat without them. Merc. is killing it with the 700's also. The only thing they don't do is look good. Any one out there want to power a 40 plus Skater, MTI, Outerlimits, DCB with anything else?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Hell Yes!!! If you have 1350s out west and you run in the Desert Storm poker run, you will not dare dream of running any where near the likes of Gary with Predator or A couple other Skaters that I personally know of! No other motors sound like Gary's, his engine builder Larry makes some of the best high HP & at the same time very reliable engines!! If I had that kind if $$$ I would NEVER build a new high end boat with 1350s. Reason #1- the M8 drive, reason #2- these boats are meant to be custom, everyone & their mom has 1350s. Reason #3- they still cost more than some pretty darn good 1800-1900hp engines I know of. Reason #4- you will get your A$$ kicked & then handed back to you if all you have is the 1350s. Lets face it they do have their benefits & by no means am I saying they aren't GREAT engines, cause they are. But I'm just saying there are still others out there, and they are not for me! Just my 2 cents. Everyone is different of course.
I'm competitive & I would want to be the fastest!! And it's not good enough to just have the 1350s
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice point of view. I like the customs too as it's what I own. But the 1350's were the first in the DCB at Desert Storm last year! Due only to belt failure......but nevertheless a failure.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure reliability is the right word for the 1350's yet. I personally watched several 1350's limping home last season. It will be interesting to see how this package evolves over the next few years.Merc certainly has the money and staff to get it done.
I personally like the customized bilge candy that some of these guys can build.There are some great engine builders out there that offer great service and know how to build reliability.I like Merc, but they are not going to be at my dock on a Saturday morning if I need them either.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Nice point of view. I like the customs too as it's what I own. But the 1350's were the first in the DCB at Desert Storm last year! Due only to belt failure......but nevertheless a failure.
May be you should look at the video as to who was first to the card stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXb0_...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Just ask Tony C. What it sounded like through his head sets when Gary went by him, he will also tell you Gary would have had a Mile on him. That's a 40ss that is meant to run to Catalina, not to Havasu springs. Plus Gary's motors had a whole lot more HP, I'm not at liberty to say how much, I'll let him tell you if he wants. Plus the only one I know willing to drive that M31 that fast is Tony! In 2011 when Gary didn't break it was no contest
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skater40
May be you should look at the video as to who was first to the card stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXb0_...ature=youtu.be
Oh ya!! Snap...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Hell Yes!!! If you have 1350s out west and you run in the Desert Storm poker run, you will not dare dream of running any where near the likes of Gary with Predator or A couple other Skaters that I personally know of! No other motors sound like Gary's, his engine builder Larry makes some of the best high HP & at the same time very reliable engines!! If I had that kind if $$$ I would NEVER build a new high end boat with 1350s. Reason #1- the M8 drive, reason #2- these boats are meant to be custom, everyone & their mom has 1350s. Reason #3- they still cost more than some pretty darn good 1800-1900hp engines I know of. Reason #4- you will get your A$$ kicked & then handed back to you if all you have is the 1350s. Lets face it they do have their benefits & by no means am I saying they aren't GREAT engines, cause they are. But I'm just saying there are still others out there, and they are not for me! Just my 2 cents. Everyone is different of course.
I'm competitive & I would want to be the fastest!! And it's not good enough to just have the 1350s
What are your concern(s), and or dislikes of the M8 drive?

I had heard from a poster on OSO that the M8 was not as hydrodynamic as the #6 drive, but I heard that on here, not from Mercury, and I do not know if that is factually accurate.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
What are your concern(s), and or dislikes of the M8 drive?

I had heard from a poster on OSO that the M8 was not as hydrodynamic as the #6 drive, but I heard that on here, not from Mercury, and I do not know if that is factually accurate.
I've heard the same from some of the best in the business, & also for the time being, the lack of gear ratio options. As far as the Hydrodynamics I was told that Bob Bull took his M8s off and put on 6s... But I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Registered

You can now purchase the 1350 and 1100 packages with 6 drives anyway. I know here in Australia on the ski race boats running the 1300's everyone is running the 6's. some started with M8's but all now run the 6. They are just faster and handle better, that's the truth. Having said all that we don't run them surfacing as there supposed to be so its apples and oranges to what works on a fast cat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.