Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Prop sales should do well this year!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
growing up on Lake Erie since i was a kid in the 70's i remember where the lake was forty plus years ago. Truth be told we are still above any record low and still above all averages for the last hundred years. Great lakes water level is just a cyclical system an ya gotta just go with it, it always comes back just takes time. And, at least on my little corner of the lake, ya gotta know where the deep spots are
I don`t know the first two paragraphs kinda say it all...

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — Two of the Great Lakes have hit their lowest water levels ever recorded, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Tuesday, capping more than a decade of below-normal rain and snowfall and higher temperatures that boost evaporation.
Measurements taken last month show Lake Huron and Lake Michigan have reached their lowest ebb since record keeping began in 1918, and the lakes could set additional records over the next few months, the corps said. The lakes were 29 inches below their long-term average and had declined 17 inches since January 2012.
The other Great Lakes — Superior, Erie and Ontario — were also well below average.
One of the local marinas says 40% of their slips will be unusable and others are getting permits to dredge. My favorite marines gas dock is unreachable now.. around here its a real serious issue.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
growing up on Lake Erie since i was a kid in the 70's i remember where the lake was forty plus years ago. Truth be told we are still above any record low and still above all averages for the last hundred years. Great lakes water level is just a cyclical system an ya gotta just go with it, it always comes back just takes time. And, at least on my little corner of the lake, ya gotta know where the deep spots are
Dave you make a good point about Lake Erie water levels due to cycles you have seen. As Erie is Great Lake #4 in the system it's water not only comes from the Detroit River but from Ohio rivers. The latest thoughts are that when they dredged the Detroit river years ago [from1920's on for the frieghters] they increased the natural flow out of the upper Great Lakes. Reports say they were going to install under water berms to slow & equalize the flow rate, but they never did. And now that they are flowing much more water out of the Detroit & Chicago river [flowing to the Mississippi] that does not help a natural water cycle.
But when it comes to Lake Michigan & Huron & Lake St Clair the head line read [2 Great Lakes hit lowest water level on record] you cant ignore that. The Michigan Governor again last week was petitioning the Federal Government to stop the flow out of Lake Michigan down the Chicago river, any flow rate slow down would help.
Mark
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna need a better GPS with good charts
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by buckknekkid
Gonna need a better GPS with good charts
If you navigate western lake erie by GPS and outdated charts your a fool. This area changes year to year and is incredibly deceptive. Ther is a big area a few miles long where it goes from 30' to 6" in 30 yards and it LOOKS like you are well safe in open water. There are also a lot of places I regularly go where charts and GPS show 1 foot of water. If you don't know the water around here, just drop off a case of beer at the prop repair place to reserve your place in line.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

JD is much lighter when you're trying to paddle back in.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Prop sales should do well this year!
Still need to get mine repaired from banging it on a rock on Labor Day..... Launch every week in that canal, and until Labor Day had never stuck anything.... That launch wont be usable this year...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cigboat1
You guys dont know the half of it ---Thanks to Obama being from the Chicago area all of his pals in the shipping business some how managed to talk the Corps of Engineers into diverting water from the great lakes into the Mississippi River further lowering the water level for all of us here including all the commercial traffic on the the lakes.I guess it came down to picking which commercial boat business was more important and since Obama's pals have so much power - The great lakes lost out and no one has any say about it ...Command decision on the part of the corps with no discussion at all...........The other problem will be that we will all have Silver carp in all the lakes because they are dragging their feet in congress ----Here come 30 billion carp and we can not do anything about that either...
I guess it will not make any difference any way --gas will probably be so high by summer no one will be able to afford it , already almost back up to $4.00 a gallon in a matter of a couple of weeks .I hate these greedy politicians and business men no matter if they are democrats or republicans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes me sick!

Jim

Guess I will turn my rig into a Mud Boat !
I thought that Illinois was limited by a 1967 Supreme court decision controlling the amount of water that they could divert from the Lake, if so, how are they getting around this?

"In the early 1880s, Chicago ran into a sanitary snafu when its drinking water source became its sewage repository. The city reversed the flow of Chicago River and sent its sewage, along with some of Lake Michigan, south through a canal connected to the Mississippi River.

Surrounding states were not pleased — especially Missouri, which was getting the full brunt of Chicago’s foul assault. In the early 1920s, Wisconsin — later joined by Michigan and New York — sued, claiming that Chicago’s diversion lowered Lake Michigan by 6 inches.

Flow of Chicago waterways before and after construction of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. Maps: USGS

In 1967, the U.S Supreme Court ruled that the diversion was necessary, but capped it at 3,200 cubic feet per second per day— its current level"

from this article http://greatlakesecho.org/2011/06/22...catch-a-break/
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Dave you make a good point about Lake Erie water levels due to cycles you have seen. As Erie is Great Lake #4 in the system it's water not only comes from the Detroit River but from Ohio rivers. The latest thoughts are that when they dredged the Detroit river years ago [from1920's on for the frieghters] they increased the natural flow out of the upper Great Lakes. Reports say they were going to install under water berms to slow & equalize the flow rate, but they never did. And now that they are flowing much more water out of the Detroit & Chicago river [flowing to the Mississippi] that does not help a natural water cycle.
But when it comes to Lake Michigan & Huron & Lake St Clair the head line read [2 Great Lakes hit lowest water level on record] you cant ignore that. The Michigan Governor again last week was petitioning the Federal Government to stop the flow out of Lake Michigan down the Chicago river, any flow rate slow down would help.
Mark
Looks like I'd better break out a few cases of light beer and start peeing in Lake Superior. Hopefully it will make it down there by spring! Whats your favorite?

Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by boats74
Not gonna be good for the 1000 Islands.
now it will be 1756 Islands

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Mark
Good points Marc, i guess i wasnt looking to much past my own back yard but you make sense. I wouldn't like to think we have that much control over mother nature but maybe we do. I know about a hundred feet of our beach there were several house foundations under about two feet of water left from and old road that was there in the twenties. Thats how far back/down the water was nearly a hundred years ago. We actually owned the lots underwater because it took so long for the Army Corps of Engineers to officially abandon the road. I will say this though there are a great many factor that contribute to water levels some we can control some we cant and unfortunatly these things can line up against us before we know it. Factor what Cigoat1 brought up and the fact that last year we had almost no freeze and very weak freeze this year (evaporation is one huge factor in lake levels) and ya get what were get'in now
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.