Notices

Great lakes bad news,

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great lakes bad news,

While we are not in a situation like Texas, seems to be changes here also, could be new hazards this year, I know here in WNY we have a few areas where we go that such a drop will prevent us from traveling threw

http://news.yahoo.com/2-great-lakes-...233716573.html
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Last couple years here on Erie have been noticably lighter on water depth.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

You guys dont know the half of it ---Thanks to Obama being from the Chicago area all of his pals in the shipping business some how managed to talk the Corps of Engineers into diverting water from the great lakes into the Mississippi River further lowering the water level for all of us here including all the commercial traffic on the the lakes.I guess it came down to picking which commercial boat business was more important and since Obama's pals have so much power - The great lakes lost out and no one has any say about it ...Command decision on the part of the corps with no discussion at all...........The other problem will be that we will all have Silver carp in all the lakes because they are dragging their feet in congress ----Here come 30 billion carp and we can not do anything about that either...
I guess it will not make any difference any way --gas will probably be so high by summer no one will be able to afford it , already almost back up to $4.00 a gallon in a matter of a couple of weeks .I hate these greedy politicians and business men no matter if they are democrats or republicans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes me sick!

Jim

Guess I will turn my rig into a Mud Boat !
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I have lived on Lake St Clair for more than 35 + years and have not seen the lake this low ever. Back in October I had talked that we were in for it after Hurricane Sandy blew the water out of Lake St Clair 1'+ over two days. When the storm was over the water never really came back. After reading all the latest reports I don't see it getting any better in the near future. You would think that with todays techknowledgey some management regulating the fresh water outflow of the Great Lakes could be done.
Here are a few pic's of my canal from last October, I dont think dredging if we could even get it done will help much.
Attached Thumbnails Great lakes bad news,-dsc04665.jpg   Great lakes bad news,-dsc04671.jpg   Great lakes bad news,-dsc04669.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 4,272 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I`m not even sure where i`ll be able to launch this year, good thing the gov. is on it and MAYBE by 2015 we can start a "study" unfuc%$#@king believable!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tower road ramp winnetka Ill. on lake michigan. down 6-7' in water level
Attached Thumbnails Great lakes bad news,-dsc03353.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that's bad.I live on the Chesapeake bay we have the opposite problem.Our tides are higher now than ever.I live right on the water.Normal high tides are about 8 to 12 inches higher than 10 years ago.The water is always in my yard on a good high tide.Wish I could give you some water. JOHN SR
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

growing up on Lake Erie since i was a kid in the 70's i remember where the lake was forty plus years ago. Truth be told we are still above any record low and still above all averages for the last hundred years. Great lakes water level is just a cyclical system an ya gotta just go with it, it always comes back just takes time. And, at least on my little corner of the lake, ya gotta know where the deep spots are
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
growing up on Lake Erie since i was a kid in the 70's i remember where the lake was forty plus years ago. Truth be told we are still above any record low and still above all averages for the last hundred years. Great lakes water level is just a cyclical system an ya gotta just go with it, it always comes back just takes time. And, at least on my little corner of the lake, ya gotta know where the deep spots are
yep in a couple years everyone may be complaining about the HIGH water "crisis" LOL. I predict Texas will be doing just that in about two or three years. the last couple of front that just missed north Texas and Oklahoma area put around 23" of rain here in 3 weeks. we are soaked!!! feel sorry for you guys tho...I know it sucks!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not gonna be good for the 1000 Islands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.