Saw a Merc 1350 close up at Chief today >

Saw a Merc 1350 close up at Chief today

Notices

Saw a Merc 1350 close up at Chief today

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Saw a Merc 1350 close up at Chief today

Tommy called me yesterday and told me he was running a 1600 horse 572 Pump Gas Dyno pull this AM so I went over to watch.
[IMG][/IMG]

Between pulls I started looking around the shop and spotted this beast:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Guys...I have to say...I've been around some stuff but when your talking to people that casually mention that "Fred" sent that one over for me to focus a bit and see how we could tweak it a little"...you know you are in a "Leading Edge" environment. This thing is impressive...just standing next to $150,000+ boat engine is awe inspiring to say the least. It's almost like I could hear it whisper to me "Come on John...go get some of that retirement money and let me light you up!!"

What was even more impressive to me is Tommy's engine mapping software that he wrote. I watched through several pulls how the program adjusted all aspects of fuel, ignition and air parameters to maximize what 93 octane gasoline would provide the twin blower 572 Chief that made an honest 1564 horsepower...I am a witness. Here is a Facebook link to my video of the Dyno test

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4778461813817

Tommy's program uses one input that i never heard of or thought of..."Acoustical Input"...the computer has to "hear" the right things going on...and continuously adjusts to "hear" what it needs to!!

I'm trying to talk Tommy into writing a book...this guy is a genius...admittedly I am biased having known him since he was a kid.

Now...if I could just talk him into letting me "try" that 1350 for a few weeks in my 255 Formula...LOL

Last edited by sprink58; 02-09-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by sprink58
Tommy called me yesterday and told me he was running a 1600 horse 572 Pump Gas Dyno pull this AM so I went over to watch.
[IMG][/IMG]

Between pulls I started looking around the shop and spotted this beast:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Guys...I have to say...I've been around some stuff but when your talking to people that casually mention that "Fred" sent that one over for me to focus a bit and see how we could tweak it a little"...you know you are in a "Leading Edge" environment. This thing is impressive...just standing next to $150,000+ boat engine is awe inspiring to say the least. It's almost like I could hear it whisper to me "Come on John...go get some of that retirement money and let me light you up!!"

What was even more impressive to me is Tommy's engine mapping software that he wrote. I watched through several pulls how the program adjusted all aspects of fuel, ignition and air parameters to maximize what 93 octane gasoline would provide the twin blower 572 Chief that made an honest 1570 horsepower...I am a witness. Here is a Facebook link to my video of the Dyno test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcG6SR48kWs

Tommy's program uses one input that i never heard of or thought of..."Acoustical Input"...the computer has to "hear" the right things going on...and continuously adjusts to "hear" what it needs to!!

I'm trying to talk Tommy into writing a book...this guy is a genius...admittedly I am biased having known him since he was a kid.

Now...if I could just talk him into letting me "try" that 1350 for a few weeks in my 255 Formula...LOL
That is some pretty cool stuff right there . I hope you didn't get any on those works of art .
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see that!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti
I'd like to see that!
Yeah...that really would be special..LOL!!

But seriously...in looking at the 1350...take a real close look at the exhaust manifolds and how they are inherently designed and tuned to flow thru the turbos...as if there was never any thought of these engines not being Turbo Charged. These things are built with such engineered precision...it's actually a marvelous piece of engineering.

The downside of course is the cost. The payback for the R & D required will be tough to collect. I hope enough of these engines are sold to allow Mercury to recover their investment...which must be substantial. Eventually we will all benefit from this technology...but at this point it is out of reach for all but the wealthiest of consumers.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

the twin blower 572 Chief that made an honest 157064 horsepower...

Wow I bet a bravo 1 just won`t live too long with that kind of power...
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under the radar, I bet you the cost assoc w 1350 has been recoupped already....there is no shortage of them out in the world Ina. Short time frame. Think about the amount of 1075's we seen overall and the amount of 1350's you see....and how long have they been avail????

MAD $$$$ !!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

it's actually a marvelous piece of engineering.
If you build it, ...

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

So in continuing...Jason at Brand X in Pompano came over and took these engines to his shop. Before he did Tommy and crew ran some fresh gasoline in the 572's and with a wave of the Chief's wand...suddenly they hit 1650!!

Jason invited me over to look at the recipient boat which is the famous 388 Skater "Pure Platinum" owned by Bill Pyburn of Jacksonville. Jason rigged the boat up with these two monsters...fired them up and I swear it sounded like the end of the world!!! Here of some pics I took of this beast just before Jason hauled it over to the 14th Street Ramp in Pompano for launch. They are headed down to meet the owner and his crew and this Beautiful Rig is running the FPC Miami Boat Show Poker Run from Miami to Islamorada in the Keys.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the view most people will have of "Pure Platinum"

[IMG][/IMG]

This boat ran 185+ two years ago with 1350 Chiefs...now with 1650's can 200 be a reality? Stay tuned...
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread!!

I have to disagree with an earlier posters comments about the exhaust manifolds on the 1350's.. They look like old school "Logs" to me. I would think there would be a ton of room for improvement on flow over those.

RD
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The manifolds to me appeared to be split and most likely the turbo housing is axially divided, they push 2 cyl to the low speed side and two cyl to the higher speed side to give a wider power band, that approach has been proven in diesels for many years, at least the early 80's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.