Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
got call from agent/buyer from malaysia?? >

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Notices

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the same response from a CL ad for a prop. told him I was out of the country, but to send the check anyway and I would meet his agent later. figured I would waste some of his time.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I have talked to him on the phone, but just responded to him asking about wire transfer and proforma with buyer and shipping details. He was quick to respond about questions this am about the check but no reply back on the wire.

Will see, this is interesting!!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Registered

I wouldn't accept anything but a wire transfer. I had a buyer from London send us a fake cashiers check. Be careful and good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Ditto on the wire transfer in US funds only and expect your bank to charge you $50+ to receive the funds. Also get a signed agreement from Buyers agent stating terms and conditions to include price, "as is, where is" and that boat and purchase documents will not be released until funds clear. I ship many boats out of the country and it does amaze me sometimes. Best one was a deal on a 28' Tristan someone paid $20K to ship a $25K boat to Greenland, but apparently the boat was worth $65K in that country. Best thing on international deals is that have never been hung up with BS surveys, etc. It works, but as said before, be careful. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default he will do transfer!!

Well he responded and will do wire transfer to my credit union savings. ??

Which I don't keep but around a cpl hundred bucks in that acct just to keep my acct active.

Pitfalls to wire transfer??? How can they scam a wire transfer??
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

.........nevermind. Not so sure now. Be careful though.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I ship / sell products to Malaysia regularly. To one business who we've learned to trust.

The thing with Malaysia is many people and companies can't buy stuff from the USA because people up here have been burned too many times with scams from down there. So the flip side is those consumers in Malaysia who are legit purchasers pay good money for stuff we think is well overpriced. Supply and demand.

You can't question the value of the boat in a place like that as part of the equation I don't think. We regularly sell stuff to our contact in Malaysia at full retail and he pays shipping then still marks it up. Because his customers can't get it into the country any other way.

If the wire clears and you still have possession of the boat, seems like its hard to get hurt. Just pay attention as others have said, and use a new account and close it afterward for the wire transfer.

I wouldn't turn down selling a product offshore just because scams happen.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Registered

Who is arranging shipping and all?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Well he responded and will do wire transfer to my credit union savings. ??

Which I don't keep but around a cpl hundred bucks in that acct just to keep my acct active.

Pitfalls to wire transfer??? How can they scam a wire transfer??
They can use your routing and account number to do many bad things. DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT INFO!!!!!

Open up an escrow/temporary account at your credit union.

Do NOT give this guy your account number. Only give him the temp account number.

After the transfer is complete, YOU transfer the money from the temporary account into yours. Then you are clear. Close temp escrow account.

Last edited by pasquesi; 02-09-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kilrbusa
I had a guy send me a check I opened the envelope and it looked like the shadyest check I ever seen. The envelope had no return address on it, nothing inside explaining the check and why it's here....the check itself was a fraud that was made up from stolen bank info from a larger company. The sender contacted me through email, he asked if he can send his shipper....I laughed at him in a reply email and never heard from him again. I know if I sent someone payment for something I just wouldn't stop contacting them about the transaction!!

The #1 thing to raise a red flag is when they refuse to communicate via the phone, after payment is sent. People work to hard to loose money likes it grows on a tree!! I heard every excuse in the universe....deaf, shot a gun next to my ears and can't hear, on a boat somewhere, on a top secret mission and restricted to phone use, buying for a father or son as a gift, etc etc.. If people put the same amount of energy into good things they would be overly successful most of the times!!!
X2 I have heard all of theses story's all I can say is SCAM!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.