Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
got call from agent/buyer from malaysia?? >

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Notices

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pasquesi
They can use your routing and account number to do many bad things. DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT INFO!!!!!

Open up an escrow/temporary account at your credit union.

Do NOT give this guy your account number. Only give him the temp account number.

After the transfer is complete, YOU transfer the money from the temporary account into yours. Then you are clear. Close temp escrow account.
Thanks for info, I don't keep any thing in this acct but may just see I can receive into a temp acct!!

Will update on Monday when i call credit union. Which he did ask specifically for a credit union acct? Curious as to what the difference is? Or just language barrier.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

My buddy sold his Crownline to a buyer from Turkey about 5 months ago. They paid full price, had someone do a seatrial (but not an actual survey) here and then had a tow truck haul the boat away.

They had a 10 day delay for shipping and gave my buddy 10K in cash as a deposit, he had them sign a contract outlining that the deposit was non refundable if they failed to pay the balance.....they showed up and went for a boat ride, then he left them and the boat on the trailer at the boat ramp while they waited for the tow truck.

Weird story but it happens.....
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pasquesi
They can use your routing and account number to do many bad things. DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT INFO!!!!!

Open up an escrow/temporary account at your credit union.

Do NOT give this guy your account number. Only give him the temp account number.

After the transfer is complete, YOU transfer the money from the temporary account into yours. Then you are clear. Close temp escrow account.
+1 Use a temp acct and don't accept anything except the wire transfer
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I regularly buy high value items from the US, (for example just bought a cobalt 262 sight unseen out of Missouri, wired the guy full payment) being based in Australia, if the guy is going to send you a wire then I would say you have nothing to concern yourself with, as he would have had to have clear funds in his account in order to send you the wire in the first place.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not worry if the the guy wire the money, would not accept a check though.

Speed boats are not common in Malaysia (I lived there 9 years). Was thinking of importing a boat there myself at that time since there was no import duty on boats.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Registered

Sounds good guys!! He said he would wire.. I guess we will find out next week!!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

To bad we have to be so cautious these days with all the scammers !.. Back in the day we accepted a hand shake to make a deal !

I hope all works out for you, and your on the water this summer with a new toy!!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
To bad we have to be so cautious these days with all the scammers !.. Back in the day we accepted a hand shake to make a deal !

I hope all works out for you, and your on the water this summer with a new toy!!
Not counting my chickens just yet.. will see how it goes Monday when i get my credit union acct info to have him wire the money.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It might work out. I sold an engine to a man in Germany. After a couple people on the Donzi boards vouched for me he wired me full pay't and I was on my honor to get the engine to the shipping company.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once hasid from malaysia finds out your account only has 20 bucks in it, the scam will be over. Don't get me wrong here, he will clean you out of the twenty bucks
The way i have seen the scam work involves a "shipping company" and that is the scam. They over pay you with a phony check that you deposit. The overpayment, you are to send to the shipping company with "clean funds".... Namely yours. You then find out ten days later the check was bogus but you have already sent the shipper clean funds and you are out that amount and the. Shipping company never shows up. So, at least you,still have your boat and are just 3 grand lighter in the pocketbook.
Nailit, this is a classic scam. Has he mentioned shipping yet? We get this same crap at work 3 times a year and it involves a bishop of somethin christ church needing our services butbwe must work only with his shipper as the they have an insider in the govt of baulibalew country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.