Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
got call from agent/buyer from malaysia?? >

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Notices

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
Once hasid from malaysia finds out your account only has 20 bucks in it, the scam will be over. Don't get me wrong here, he will clean you out of the twenty bucks
The way i have seen the scam work involves a "shipping company" and that is the scam. They over pay you with a phony check that you deposit. The overpayment, you are to send to the shipping company with "clean funds".... Namely yours. You then find out ten days later the check was bogus but you have already sent the shipper clean funds and you are out that amount and the. Shipping company never shows up. So, at least you,still have your boat and are just 3 grand lighter in the pocketbook.
Nailit, this is a classic scam. Has he mentioned shipping yet? We get this same crap at work 3 times a year and it involves a bishop of somethin christ church needing our services butbwe must work only with his shipper as the they have an insider in the govt of baulibalew country!
He has not sent me the details. I am supposd to send him my act for wire transfer and further instructions. He only mentioned buyer would arrange shipping.

He has called me a couple timeswhen my email was down.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

I did not read your tread but I can say....

BEWARE !!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful! I just got an envelope in mail with a cashiers check for $1850.00. It had instructions to deposit it, keep $400 as commission, spend $50 at participating stores, then send a new money order for $1400 to then with my shopping experience. Wtf, this is major mail fraud and a felony. How do they not get caught? Sorry to hijack but its scary what's going on out there.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I received a check from a guy in China that used a broker in the US, the check looks very real. Called the bank and verified the account and it was all good until I told them the amount.

If he's willing to do a wire it sounds more like a true story. If you end up needing help shipping I have a contact at Peter & May that can help you.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Well, I sent the guy the info needed for the wire.

Also found out that my lil credit union uses another Large credit union to receive wires into their account so that provides a little security since my FCU does handle wires directly.

He already responded b/c I forgot the bank address so we will see!!!

Last edited by nailit; 02-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

head for the hills
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

I think you will be fine as long as you have talked to your bank and are using a temporary escrow account. DO NOT use your savings account. The bank should be able to open a temporary holding account for you.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

At the risk of offending a qualified buyer I wouldn't let the paranoid guys on here bother you.

Reduce the account to the minimum balance (could be as low as $5 with a CU) Set up the transfer and see what happens.

If it turns out to be a scam close the account and open a new one with a new account number, let the CU know that account number is now in the hands of someone that attempted to fraud.

Having ones account number and address is not that big of deal today, it is on EVERY check that you write, not very secure information.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
At the risk of offending a qualified buyer I wouldn't let the paranoid guys on here bother you.

Reduce the account to the minimum balance (could be as low as $5 with a CU) Set up the transfer and see what happens.

If it turns out to be a scam close the account and open a new one with a new account number, let the CU know that account number is now in the hands of someone that attempted to fraud.

Having ones account number and address is not that big of deal today, it is on EVERY check that you write, not very secure information.
I think mine has min of $100.. regardless your right about the info.. but also the account number for the wire is actually my CU b/c they dont do the wires directly..

Eitherway, i have had a lot of action on my boat this week.. Hopefully she moves soon!!

Have it priced to move and i just pulled the top off this weekend in our 70 degree weather to start cleaning her up!!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

Yup, give it a chance. I'm not seeing the usual red flags here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.