Image of the Week Exclusive: Cigarette’s Miami Mystery >

Image of the Week Exclusive: Cigarette’s Miami Mystery

Notices

Image of the Week Exclusive: Cigarette’s Miami Mystery

Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I don't think so. The formula is as follows...

E(kWh) = P(kW) × t(hr)

240(kWh) = 1656(kW) x t(hr)

t = 240/1656 = .144(hr) = 8.7 min.
This is why we don't have electric boats. Today's batteries don't cut it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
This is why we don't have electric boats. Today's batteries don't cut it.
They would need batteries that hold 10 times as much electricity to make it practical. Then, can you imagine the charger required to charge this? I wouldn't want to be on the dock while this thing was plugged in.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miss Geico fans...Gotta love em!!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

With all those Batts bet the Tunes are Rockin!! all day long
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Gallon of fuel into an inefficient engine into an inefficient generator into an inefficient electric motor into an inefficient drive into an inefficient prop...... Great idea!
brownie - I get your point, I think a little off base in this case, the efficency to produce electric at a power plant, distribute and charge the batteries and the hyrdo-carbon foot print of that compared to a gas or diesel engine is way better - I'm not a tree hugger by any means, just saying.

I get what MB, AMG, Cigarette are doing I think it's great PR you look at a BIG boat going fast (regardless of for how long) and jumping waves, etc, etc and put it alongside a tiny sports car and say "if we can make this boat do that imagine what this car will do" - I get it.

Here is a thought for you because you are a progressive type of guy.

If you wanted a hybrid performance boat, why not use a turbine generator for the electric power? As far as I know turbines with mechanical connections to the drive are still problematic, docking, slow speeds the turbines themselves don't like rpm changes, they are best run at a constant rpm with a varing load instead of varying rpm.

If you used an aircraft type generator end, 400hz, they are smaller, lighter in frame size then you could in effect run the turbine at rated speed and vary through the motor controllers the prop speed to 4, 40, 400 or 4,000 rpm whatever your shaft speed is only mechanically capped by the load you exert on it or controls you install.

I get the part that a trubine at speed is very loud which is bad, I think you can run the turbine slower say to make 60hz or 120 hz and be able to produce enough current still to run the drive motors at slow boat speeds, this would be for docking, idleing, slow speed in the IC etc while still having full output shaft RPM range output through the motor controllers. The turbine go into full rpm mode after the push the throttles past a set point - all possible, the cost of this, yes very high but is possible.

Your thoughts on theory not practicality and be gentle